Thread: Island of Kaludor (WIP)

Guild Adept

Default Island of Kaludor (WIP)

I finally got around to some playtime with the trial PS and put together the Island of Kaludor where my first novel in this setting takes place, and where a future RPG campaign I hope to publish will also be. What we see here are some unfinished mountains and well, unfinished everything really! But the river and the terrain down river seriously distracted me from finishing off the mountains.

The island is far to the north and frigid with the terrain north of the mountains turning into a frozen tundra. The main river we see here in the map is the de facto border between the Clan Côerkin and Clan Emudar, both being of the Silonę people.

This is my first go around on PS so all advice is welcome! Bad part is now I have to cough up the dough to buy PS, I'm addicted, heh heh. And my first time posting an image to this forum, so my fingers are crossed that it works! LOL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaludor River.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	42951  
    Last edited by Veldehar; 03-10-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, that's really nice work, especially for a first-timer! It's got that cold, semi-tundra feel to it - good colors. And I hear ya about the addictiveness.

Guild Adept

Thanks Diamond,

I've been lurking around here for years checking out maps by yourself and others, Circle of the World comes to mind, so perhaps I have learned through osmosis, LOL. I became convinced long ago that a tablet was a must for my artistically challenged self, with that in hand mapping got much more fun.

I am terrible at following directions so the map is a result of tinkering around with several tutorials, most prominently those by Pasis and Tear, and an unknown number of hints of directions from all over the forums. So thanks goes out to all the cartographers who share their knowledge here!

After playing around with Fractal Terrains for years, love that program, it was nice to have the extreme detail control of PS, that lack of control being the primary flaw of FT in my mind when trying to create and existing world.

Guild Adept

Well, I finally got around to working out some more detail on this island. There is obviously a lot left to be done, not the least of which is a geyser field north of the mountains (a key story location) and a couple more rivers. Experiments with a mountain pass and dormant volcano turned out good enough. I'm not entirely happy with my canyon test run, but it isn't all bad. More to come!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaludor Outline Large.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	44048  
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Looks pretty good, especially for your first couple of posts. One thing that's kind of odd though is that in the south eastern side of the map there is a river that flows from a lowland uphill over a cliff. Now, unless there is some magical explanation for this that just seems like a clear river violation. Otherwise though, looking good.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept

Them rivers are sneaky sometimes... or is it the mountains sneaking where they aren't supposed to be? The eastern regions are a bit hasty in their manufacture, but I will certainly be giving that a look see!
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com