So I've had a worldbuilding project that I've been working on and off for about 6 years. I came across mapmaking maybe 2-3 years ago, and I've been damn near unsatisfied with every map I've ever tried to do for my world. Either I'm not happy with the scale of the map or everything's in the wrong place or I don't like the landmasses, etc. Finicky aside, I've tried to give it another go (I've already tried to do 5 maps for this world). I've been following Tear's tutorial on map making, however with the tutorial, I don't quite get the shape of the mountains that I want or the distinction of the forests quite like I want.

This is also my first map post on this forum. I think that if I try to post my progress here I'll maybe get some feedback and eventually get to a map that I can be happy with.

Things I know that I need/want in my map;
  • Archipelago for island cultures
  • Massive forest (and I mean massive)
  • Fairly large desert made up of mostly sand, and tapers off into aridness.
  • Jungle region
  • Plenty of mountains
  • Arctic forest/mountains region.
  • Floatnig mountains shrouded in a dense mist/fog.

I'm debating whether or not to do this the hand drawn way or to do it like in Tear's tutorial. I may end up doing both, however I don't know which to start with. Then I'll work into the political map, and then regional and then probably some local city maps.

Significantly scaled down size of the map. I believe the full res. is 3times larger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landmasses2.png 
Views:	390 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	42982