Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Map of Urstamalga!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Personally I like the rivers as they are. They're clear but don't dominate. Your layers have got a little messed up on the bottom left though - the area names are under the rivers.

Rivers are my personal bugbear, also. I think yours look quite good on this map--they match the hand-drawn style nicely. You might play with the blend modes or opacity to give them a more painted look.

As you add details, the identical mountains are looking more and more computer-generated to me. Take a look at Hapimesis' video tutorial:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...light=tutorial

You didn't mention whether or not you're using a tablet--you'll probably need one for best results with Hap's technique. I know I found it close to impossible to accomplish with a mouse. Others might have a steadier hand than me, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Sorry for the long lull in my updating but college has been quite hectic as of late.

Thank you for that link, Midgardsormr! It was most enlightening and quite helpful!

Having said that, the entire system frustrates me to no end! No matter how much I tried, my mountains never looked good... I mean they looked... awful! So I decided to start on a fresh canvas and use that new mountain making system on a more detailed sub-section of the map. I decided to use the island I named Lushan, because its mountains were not connected to any other range by way of it being an island

So I tried it and well, I'll let you guys be the judges of how it came out (could go either way really).

A quick note about the Empire that rules the island, its a very ordered society, as can bee seen by the roads, and the placement of the larger towns and villages. Each town/village is connected via a road system that encircles the entire island, as well as a single road leading through the country side to a large watch tower on the Fenshi Wall, which protects the more densely populated eastern half of the island from the more wild and less civilized western half. Further, the Empire is geared towards trade, both domestic and foreign, this is why the major towns & villages are all placed on the eastern coast; not only to maximize trade with the western nations but also to allow trade to pass up and down the island with ease.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BIG Qiansu copy.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	3577  

Nice looking map! I have a few points:

- I compared the mountains to your previous map (because you mentioned them, heh). I like them. Your previous mountains were too repetitive, like others have mentioned, but these look really good!
    - this is purely preferential, but I find the texture a little too obtrusive, it steals my attention away from the map itself..
    - I like the idea behind placement of cities

Quote Originally Posted by Sirith View Post
    Nice looking map! I have a few points:

- I compared the mountains to your previous map (because you mentioned them, heh). I like them. Your previous mountains were too repetitive, like others have mentioned, but these look really good!
    Thank you for the compliment, its good to hear that my attempt was successful!

- this is purely preferential, but I find the texture a little too obtrusive, it steals my attention away from the map itself..
    Really? I sort of liked the Burlappy feel of the map but I can definitely see yopur point of view. I'll change the texture and we'll see if it looks better

- I like the idea behind placement of cities
    Thanks

Really? I sort of liked the Burlappy feel of the map but I can definitely see yopur point of view. I'll change the texture and we'll see if it looks better
    I also like the look. Heh... I was more confused by the grid lines until I figured out what they were...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

My late grandfather had a map of the Philippines painted on burlap that he acquired during WWII. On that map, the water was not painted and the burlap was obvious. The paint on the islands "webbed" across the fibers, obscuring the texture, but not completely eradicating it. As the map has aged, the paint has come off in many of those areas, but the fibers are still stained with the color.

It's a really neat map--I'll try to remember to take my camera with me and get a shot of it next time I visit my grandmother. If she's still displaying it, that is.

Anyway, this looks much like the painted areas of my grandfather's map must have looked when it was new.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123