Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Risk Board

Default Fantasy Risk Board

Ive been playing Risk alot with my kids lately and i thought " it would be cool to play this game in a world that i made up ". Here is what ive done so far. I designed it so that it has the same number of continents with the same number of countries so that you don't have to modify the rules. gonna add some names and decorations next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fantasy Risk.jpg 
Views:	26718 
Size:	549.5 KB 
ID:	42987  
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Have you seen Risk Legacy? It's Risk with some very cool game mechanics. I highly recommend finding a copy of it. It would work well with your nice looking new game board.

It looks good. You have some artifacts as a result of .jpg compression, but I'm sure that's just because you're posting a reduced size image.

Is this going to be a full world map? Because in that case, you're going to have to think about how you're going to link the eastern and western hemispheres at the edges. Personally, I don't find the dotted line from Kamchatka to Alaska an elegant solution, and you could dispense with it if you decided on a different projection.

@DevinNight:
    I haven't played Risk Legacy, but i checked it out and it seems like it would be fun to play.

@Lukc:
    You are correct about the artifacts. The full size board is 19in x 30in so it did have to be compressed alot to post here =) When i am finished with it i plan on printing it so we can play on it. I understand what you mean about the eastern and western hemispheres connecting, but i cannot think of another way to do it. could you elaborate more on how a different projection would make that aspect more elegant?
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-of-human-migrations.jpg 
Views:	869 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	42993

If you look at this projection of the world (not precisely sure what it's called, but probably something similar to a Dyson icosahedral projection), it represents all the landmasses of Earth in such a way that the shortest distances between them are maintained, more or less - a focus on land areas rather than the equator. I think it would be a pretty cool projection for Risk - and the point is that if you do a fantasy risk map, you can easily set the projection to something approximating this one.

Hai Etik is the guild member you want to get involved for more detail on the projection you should use ... or, alternatively, wikipedia+google+30 minutes

(Admittedly ... this projection does point out that the distance between North Africa and Brazil is a bit greater than UK-Iceland-Greenland )

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

If you like Risk, I would add that Risk:2210 is a most excellent game and well worth buying. It adds in leaders and leader cards that give players kool new powers. Plus its got the Moon as an addition place to fight over. What more could you want than to be Conqueror of the Moon?

Default Almost Done

Tweeked the colors, added names, the legend, and some decoration. To finish up, I need to give the border some character and put the numbers across the bottom for card turn ins. Any suggestions for names?

Name:	Fantasy Risk.jpg 
Views:	32928 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	43096  
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

You have a great map and I would love to play it on the computer!...Go to Domining12.com and sign up. It is free site and have great maps there,and a real easy interface to start playing games..live-5min turns, reg 24 hour turns. Check it out and let me know what you think.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falkland_Islands.jpg 
Views:	2733 
Size:	521.7 KB 
ID:	43122What program did you use?
    This is the map I made...just signed on today.

Default Finished?

Well i think this one is finished. Anyone see any issues that need to be fixed before i take it to print?

Name:	Fantasy Risk2.jpg 
Views:	22956 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	43194  
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Looks great. About the only think I would do is make the connetting lines a bit more prominent, as to my eye they tend to get lost somewhat with the background.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast