Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uhmm, well Greetings ; )

Post Uhmm, well Greetings ; )

Hi, I'm new around here, obviously and I'd like to learn to make beautiful maps. Me and some others are making a RPG, a very positive and giving experience, I have never made a RPed myself and look forward to trying it, When looking for ways to make maps(As that was the part of the work I took upon myself) I stumbled upon this forum which intrigued me and wow are those maps BEAUTIFUL. So I'd like to enlist in this little community as a student if possible .

Oh yeah, and tell about myself, I'm a 13 year old girl from The Unknown Faroe Islands(If anyone know of it its on the Sandoy Island, in the small village Sandur, which is still the largest "city" on the island(We live about a thousand on the island in total.).), below the north-pole but north of Norway. Its damn cold so staying indoor in front of the PC is for me to be preferred. I like to work on projects it being writing things, homework, anything actually that can keep me busy. Oh and a relevant interest for this forum. I like photoshop
    Last edited by Narf; 03-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Welcome to the forum! And I do know where Färöarna (as it is called in Swedish) lies
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Nice! and Thank you Uhh is there some kind of place like a University or School section on this site?

No not really, but there is a tutorials section where you can learn all things you need to know when it comes to mapping.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Thank you, I have looked at it and it seems very neat.
    Would it be highly unpopular if I tried to make something like a University and worked towards that being something this site could offer, which I myself will take part of first as student and then as a teacher later

And to follow up on that question, where do i suggest such things implemented to this site?
    Last edited by Narf; 03-12-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Welcome. Here we are all students and all teachers. In addition to the tutorials, you can post a WIP (work in progress) map and receive constructive criticism (or simple praise when called for), or you can ask specific questions about some aspect of mapping that is puzzling you. Try it out; it works pretty well. Stay warm and remember that those amazing maps are made by folks who (mostly, at least) didn't have a resource like this at 13. The lucky ones had access to some decent reference works and an older relative/friend who could provide some tips on map-making. Just think how amazing your maps will be when you are old and creaky! (and even before then)!

If you feel particularly daring, try making an entry for one of the mapping challenges. Those tend to draw extra attention and you can get more feedback. In any case, when you post a WIP, be sure to ask about anything that you think you can use specific help with.

Oh wow, thanks! I will do exactly that!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Yup, as stated above, check out the tutorial section, (we have plenty of tuts in differing styles for photoshop) and start a WIP thread as soon as you start on a map. Don't be shy (I don't know too many 13 year olds who are ) about what it looks like. We all want to make great maps, and help others make them as well.

And welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Oh Gee, Wow, Thanks! I'll start.. Uhmm TODAY! And Uhh.. Yeah, Yep. Thank you all

Wow, the Faroe Islands, eh? Never thought the first introduction I clicked on would be from there! I'd welcome you, but I myself am new(-er than you, even).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast