Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [WIP] My first map and first time as a DM.

Guild Apprentice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap-3-20-12-resize.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	43299

I've finished the coloring for now. I think its shaping up nicely.
    I finished adding shadows under the trees and other things as well.

The mountain lines going through the dwarven caste/fort are actually the chains for the drawbridge

As for the labeling, as much as I wanted to use the font that I had made, my handwriting is simply too small and I felt like it didn't quite match the rest of the map. I've switched to Dafont.com using the Of Wildflowers and Wilderness font.

I've imported this whole thing to photoshop now to work on the paper textures and give some final touches. (The labeling may look really difficult to read right now, but I will be fixing that up in photoshop)

The import from Illustrator to Photoshop was a bit of a challange as the illustrator file was large and wouldn't let me export it as a psd. What you see here is the map scaled down to 10% of its size. If anyone wants to see the entire ridiculously large image, the link is here.

I like the style
    But the smallest sized fonts are too small to be seen in relation to the other words (in the scaled down version).

Guild Apprentice

Fixed up the labeling I think and I've added a few finishing touches. I think I am ready to call this map done... What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap-done.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	780.4 KB 
ID:	43369
    Last edited by lothel; 03-24-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Guild Applicant

I really like pretty much all the versions. I've been using Illustrator for *years* and I'm always stumbling upon some teeny thing or other that saves time (duh!) so I always love it when other people do it too!

You asked about fonts: as I am a certifiable font freak, I can point you in the direction of http://www.fontcraft.com/fontcraft/ which makes tons of old fonts. So great!! They also have a "map pack" which, if I remember correctly, has a lot of things in it such as north arrows, borders, sea monster and such. I never bought that one, but they commonly have freebies of certain fonts and demo versions of fonts. I highly recommend them.

I also have thousands of fonts that I collected through the years, most of them not as exciting because the maps I have worked on are not as exciting as the one you're working on.

Anyhoo, I like your maps. Good stuff.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, call me VERY impressed

very well done
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Apprentice

Well then, I think you'll enjoy it even more when I post it in the finished map forum. I have one last surprise left

Also, in a few days I will start a new version of this map done in an atlas style since I've been itching to try something less hand drawn!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123