View Poll Results: How would you rate the place names on this map?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Outstanding

2 8.70%
  • Good

13 56.52%
  • Average

8 34.78%
  • Poor

0 0%

Thread: Sylvane Final Map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected jlficks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map Sylvane Final Map

Sylvane is an overcrowded continent divided up between many nations. It is the cradle of civilization during the Age of Crowns. Western Sylvane is ruled primarily by the united kingdom of men, Doljinaar, responsible for keeping the more violent night mortals nations out of the West. Eastern Sylvane has far more dark lands, ruled primarily by darker more monstrous races.

This map was created for a line of fantasy books called the Chronicles of Covent. The first of many books is available online if anyone wants to check it out.
    www.chroniclesofcovent.com

A slick high resolution zoomable map can be found here as well:
    http://www.chroniclesofcovent.com/map.html

I’d like to thank everyone who participated in the feedback discussion a few months ago. We incorporated as many of your revisions and suggestions as we could before the official launch date. Thanks for all you help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sylvane-Mid-High-Rez.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	42994  

I like most of the names. Some seem a little generic but they are outweighed by the ones that have more character. Some do some quite quirky (mizzle drizzle?) but that's not really a bad thing. I am curious why it is named as such!

And the map is very pretty, I like it a lot. It looks great!

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

I think it is very good! Some of them are a bit difficult, but I rather liked them. The map style is fantastical as well! I simply love your forests and mountains!

Blog Entries

Thanks Larb and Alex. Yes, some of the quirky names are by design since quirky peoples live there. Mizzle Drizzle is a playful name by a playful people. Also the important cities are the more epic names. How many epic farm towns are there in the real world anyway?

Love it!

one very small thing (and maybe nothing depending on what your doing) is the font text... it stands out quite a bit, which is great if that's what your going for... but with all the textures your map itself has, to mee it feels like the text should share in a bit of that texturing, same goes for the legend... right now it's floating over the map, as inf the text and legend are an overlay... i'd love to see them textured a bit, so they feel like they are on the paper...

Again I think its a matter of what the map is for.. play legibility, or a real "prop" each has it's uses, none which i can choose for you i REALLY like the style...
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Blog Entries

Thanks Ravells and Loogie for the kind words!

Mmmm, interesting idea Loogie, I couldn't do that for the in-book B&W map which prints without the parchment backing, so dark lettering is a must, but perhaps I could fiddle with your idea on the color map on the website. You're right, it might look at bit more natural. When I have the time I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks!