Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sorceress's tower

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Well, I've got the idea, not sure if I can do anything with it. ( doesn't mean I won't try ) I have no idea yet how to work with layers and some of the effects you described.
    Time to teach then... when you add a layer an set it to overlay, painting with dark "shifts" the color in the painted area to a darker shade, likewise painting with white "shifts" the painted area's color lighter. This is how I added shadows to the rock image and my suggested method for adding shadows to an object such as the rock I did earlier on. Now.... when you fill a layer with 50% grey (808080 in html notation) and set to overlay, since it is midway between the two extremes it does nothing to modify the underlying image. This is a VERY useful technique because then you don't destroy your original work underneath as you would if you just "painted" shadows in using a low opacity brush and several passes.

As for the gradient thing, I am using GIMP, so I am not 100% sure that Photoshop has this(but I expect it does)... anyway I am going to assume it does.

• Make a circular selection just a "bit" larger then the interior of the stairwell(I started with this on a black canvas and saved as a channel for future use).
    • Make sure color is set to Black/White Foreground/Background.
    • Click the Gradient tool
    • On the tool options, for GIMP, there is a drop down for "shape"
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot_01_2012-03-19_08-23-01.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	43197
    • Select the conic (asym) shape
    • click and hold down the mouse button in the center of the image(middle of central column of the stairway)
    • drag to the midpoint of your wall and release the mouse button

But I agree with Jacktannery that your mod of my stairs looks much better than mine. Your second one is OK and better than a lot that I've seen, but it lacks real depth to the stairs.
    Yea, I think I need to make the shadows for the risers larger... it DID look much better on my screen than it does here....

I made a new version from scratch that works best on light colored textures, still a bit to dark at the top.
    Attachment 43190
    Looks good... I like those textures better also vs your original ones... I think you have a winner if you make the rest of the set...though I would say make the "bottom" darker and leave the top as is....
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 03-19-2012 at 08:32 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the Tut, I'll give it a try.

I made something new with the stuff I had lying around(which is not much). See here... Let me know what you think.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123