Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] "The Underkeep" iso Dungeon Map & Map Tiles

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Wip [WIP] "The Underkeep" iso Dungeon Map & Map Tiles

I was inspired by Immolate's map (here) to try my hand at iso dungeon maps. I am happy with the results so far but would like to keep working at this until I have a full/finished map.

Here is the basics of what I did.

1. Made one light brown solid square and added a dark brown layer style stroke. (so all vector at this point)
    2. Placed that one shape in a folder
    3. Used the built-in PS grid to line up copies of that shape in different ways 3x3 ect...
    4. Selected the whole folder of shapes
    5. Turned it 45 degrees
    6. Re-sized it to a -60% vertical scale (Transform set to 40% vertical scale)
    7. Merged the folder into one layer (no more vector)
    8. Selected the shape of the layer and filled a new layer with the dark brown
    9. Copied that new dark brown layer 4 times moving it down each time
    10. Merged the dark brown layers... and put it under the flat other merged layer.

From there I just made some of the standard types of shapes found in dungeon maps and started using them to make a test.

As you can see. If you add texture to the square before step 3 you can have even nicer looking ground. I am interested in what you all think about this method and how you think the test turned out...

All suggestions on how to take this from "test" to "finished map" are welcomed!

Here is the results so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test4a.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	43068

Here are the raw shapes as a PNG:

Name:	iso_blocks.png 
Views:	732 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	43069

-RPGMM
    Last edited by rpgmapmaker; 03-15-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: found a typo :-(
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Wip New test

I have been working on trying walls... They still need a lot of work. But I think that the angle of the map it to steep. it I make it less harsh of an angle I think the walls will not run into each other so much. I also, made the under block part bigger to give it a more solid feel.

I hope to hear your thoughts as I work through this.

Here is the new test.

Name:	Test4b.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	43101
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

I think you'll need to just "suggest" some walls. Or make them lower perhaps. Anyway, I think it looks very good.

I think I would have tried making the walls more solid (give them a bit of width), and leave the floor under block alone. But I haven't really done an ISO map, so I might not know what I'm talking about.

I do know what you mean... and you are both making good points. I just need to find a re-producible way to do it. With this project I need to figure out how to do it over and over the same way... I guess you could say I am trying to build a system. In the one Immolate did the walls do have depth and I am working on a way to do that. I am also working on making the tiles look nicer.

I think if I only do walls on the back-outside of the map it will look better. But the walls are still sort of "not there yet". Here is a new tile test. I like the stairs better with smaller steps.

Name:	New_Test1.png 
Views:	788 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	43181

Default New Wall Test

So, here is a test of the walls. I ended up making them the same way as the tiles but much thinner and with a much taller shadow. I guess I should have thought of that before... I am not sure about the corners though...

Name:	New_Test3.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	43193

They look good, but you'll need longer tunnels to make them work visually, methinks

you could also see about throwing on the walls close to you on a transparent layer so you can see through them, but still see that they are there... It would allow you to use the same tiles without having to change them at all.. if you were really creative you could make it a mask instead of it being entirely transparent, and create a more fluid visual effect (making the bottoms of the foreground walls almost fully visible and have them fade out more to the top... lots of work, but i think transparent would be acceptable...
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Map Underkeep v1

Thank you for the feedback!

I started in on a first version of the UnderKeep. I did a test of the transparent walls and made sure the tunnels where longer so the rooms were further apart.

I have also been playing around with some things to fill the place with... trying to see what looks good and what I can do. Not sure yet what I will add or take out. The color is also subject to change.

What do you think?

Name:	Underkeep1.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	43231

I think it looks very good, but like you say - the walls are the biggest complication. I'm not sure if you even need them. Thinking as a DM, they would confuse me more than help me. I would only use them occasionally, in handouts and the like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast