Thread: [WIP] "The Underkeep" iso Dungeon Map & Map Tiles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Wip [WIP] "The Underkeep" iso Dungeon Map & Map Tiles

I was inspired by Immolate's map (here) to try my hand at iso dungeon maps. I am happy with the results so far but would like to keep working at this until I have a full/finished map.

Here is the basics of what I did.

1. Made one light brown solid square and added a dark brown layer style stroke. (so all vector at this point)
    2. Placed that one shape in a folder
    3. Used the built-in PS grid to line up copies of that shape in different ways 3x3 ect...
    4. Selected the whole folder of shapes
    5. Turned it 45 degrees
    6. Re-sized it to a -60% vertical scale (Transform set to 40% vertical scale)
    7. Merged the folder into one layer (no more vector)
    8. Selected the shape of the layer and filled a new layer with the dark brown
    9. Copied that new dark brown layer 4 times moving it down each time
    10. Merged the dark brown layers... and put it under the flat other merged layer.

From there I just made some of the standard types of shapes found in dungeon maps and started using them to make a test.

As you can see. If you add texture to the square before step 3 you can have even nicer looking ground. I am interested in what you all think about this method and how you think the test turned out...

All suggestions on how to take this from "test" to "finished map" are welcomed!

Here is the results so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test4a.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	43068

Here are the raw shapes as a PNG:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iso_blocks.png 
Views:	732 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	43069

-RPGMM
    Last edited by rpgmapmaker; 03-15-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: found a typo :-(
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.