Thread: Hello from a developer

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Hello from a developer

Hi,

My name is Don Park. I've been a software developer in the Silicon Valley for close to 3 decades.

Aside from loving maps, I am currently designing a game that uses maps extensively.

In particular, I am interested in using a calligraphic map style to add to game atmosphere.

I am open to any questions related to my profession, SF Bay Area, or Korea, my country of origin.

That's all for now.

Best,

Don Park

Post Welcome

Welcome to the Guild! I spent some time in Korea and really enjoyed it there. I think you'll find that this is the best place to be for mapping resources of all kinds. If you're new to mapping or just looking for new ways of doing things, I suggest looking at the quickstart guide to fantasy mapping. And for the style you're interested in, there is a great PDF in this thread <HERE>

Let us know when your game is finished or needs testers so we can check it out. I'm definately interested. Best of luck.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Welcome aboard! Look forward to hearing more about this game you are working on.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks guys (I think). My game is still being designed. It's on a rather slow burn since I have four other projects, most of them in the security and payment space. It is essentially a 'reinterpretation' of classic game Go. Think of it as multi-player Go played on calligraphic maps over months if not years. It's designed to be played really slow so might not be everyone's liking. Still, that's the game I want for myself.

Wow. @jezelf's old parchment map making tutorial is fantastic. Thanks for the great pointer.

Guild Apprentice

Welcome to the boards! Calligraphic maps sound pretty awesome. I would love to see them progress, you should post them up in the WIP areas!

Welcome to the Guild!

Love Korea...My Wife is Korean!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Hi Don, Wow, 3 decades is like 3 lifetimes in software. I have been programming for that long just not as a paid job. Your Go reinterpretation sounds cool. Welcome.

Anyeong haseyo, Don, and welcome to the Guild. Two of my daughters are teaching in Korea just now, but that just exhausted half of my Korean vocabulary :-).

Do you see the map(s) as background *just* for atmosphere in a game with an abstract pattern (like go or chess), or are the maps meant to have cartographic content that affects game play too? If the latter, will positions and moves be related to the map content, say like a boardgame war game, or will the map elements just provide a convenient network or pattern?

It's a nice idea - I can't wait to see you develop it !