Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City of Lost Souls

Default City of Lost Souls

There are places in the world where the souls of the dead and lost still roam. Those places are rare to find and if you find one the chances are that you never leave. This is the City of Lost Souls situated in a river delta between the countries Truscia and krug in the Etrakien world. The town is surrounded by ancient ruins from a since long forgotten past. But among the ruins the souls of the dead still walk, or at least that is what people say.

To find your way through the labyrinth that the river delta form you have to follow one of the guiding boats. It is said that only the one that knows the true name of the city can find its way here. And the secret is well protected by the selected few who knows it.

The city itself prospers from the diversity of old artifacts that are found in the ruins that surrounds it, and then sold to the highest bidder. It also harbors some of the world’s most famous pirates that pay well for the protection that the city gives. More than once enemy fleets have tried to find its way up through the delta, still none have succeeded.

The map is done in City designer 3 (CD3) from Profantasy combining the included styles A and B with the latest annual city style by Jon Roberts (Torstan). The end result from CD3 has then been quite heavily edited in Photoshop, where the labeling also has been done.

And at last a little question for the curious ones, can you spot which two real world cities that has inspired the map?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City of the lost Done.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	43136  
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Great map, and I always love a little flavor text. Makes me think of areas just off the map I wish I could see and want to explore. The key made me feel as though you were hiding some of the details on the delta's entrance. Purposely?

Wonderful map, nice work!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

They are hard to see at first but I love your fine Textures overlaying Water and farmland. Any possibility to have a little tutorial on these? I am amazed!

The map is great of course but I think perhaps a more melancholy colour scheme might have worked better to help push that lost quality it is supposed to have.

Thanks for the comments, and I'm glad that you like it.
    maxsdaddy - Well the only place where the key would fit in was on the left side ofthe map, so I had to hide some details of the map. But if you're interested I can put up a version of the map without a key.
    Schwarzkreuz - The texture overlaying the water and farmland are created by using the pixelbender addon for photoshop. I've actually done a tutorial on it here on the guild. It describes the method I'm using but lately I've started to decrease the effect a bit. You have to play around with it and see how it works. You can also see a tutorial over on my blog. It describes the same process in different words.
    Larb - There must be something wrong with the settings on your monitor
    My finished maps

I really love the way you use CD3. Your maps look very unique and are pleasant to look at. I cannot wait for the next city map you create.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    I really love the way you use CD3. Your maps look very unique and are pleasant to look at. I cannot wait for the next city map you create.
    Thanks, I always try to make them look unique, to make the style my own in a way or another. I'm glad you like it.
    My finished maps

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Great map! I would agree with Larb, though, about the color scheme. According to your compass rose, the buildings are lit from the north. Seems unusual, but plausible if the city is in the southern hemisphere of whatever world it is located in.

It's not letting me rep you again yet. Otherwise I would.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast