Thread: Greeting and Salutations

Post Greeting and Salutations

I am not a mapmaker, but it would be a skill I would love to have. I hope I will be able to find a way to gain this skill from others, or find a program that will help me gain my wishes.
    I also want to know if there is any way that some other people will be able to make maps for me.
    I am a young author who is writing a book, and needs a way to make a map of his imaginary lands.
    Hopefully I will find it somewhere

Bookmagician

Welcome!

The best way to learn is by doing, as Ravells said. If you're looking for some guidance on software, we keep a list of programs frequently used for mapmaking here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1407

The tools you choose are completely up to you. You will find that folks here run the gamut from hand-drawing and scanning their maps to using professional geographers' tools and complex terrain simulations. Whatever approach you choose, you'll find plenty of helpful advice and constructive criticism to help you become the best cartographer you can be.

If you want to commission a map, please post in the Mapmaking Requests forum. We do tend to be very busy with our own projects, though, so it may take some time before someone can find the free time to take on a request.

Again, welcome, and enjoy your time here!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Welcome. The above advice is all good.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Greetings and Welcome to the Guild... everything I cold have said has already been said better happy mapping

Hi--I'm glad you joined up here, and I hope what you find/do here feeds your writing project's inspiration. Welcome!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Welcome to the Guild! There is a lot here to inspire and help you in your endeavor. Definitely start by posting what you can of your map ideas. Even rough sketches scribbled on napkins and scanned in are a great way to start. Once others start to see what you have the ideas will beginning pouring in and the inspiration will get you doing even more.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.