Thread: Hi... I need some help.

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

Default Hi... I need some help.

Hi all,

I'd like to start a new world map for my RPG campaign.

In all my attemps to draw the world shape, I sadly constat that all the sketches look like a "kind of the real world".

So, this is my request.

Would you like to be kind to me and draw some world map shape ?
    Actually, it just need to be the overall view of a planet the same size of the earth and the same ratio of Water/Landmass.

I'd like to have the permission to use your sketches and, eventually, to mix some map. In return, your name will figure on the label, if you wish.

Thanks in advance.

.Mörkhdull.
    C'est peut être un détail pour vous,
    Mais pour moi, ça veut dire beaucoup

Hello there!
    If you don't want your world to be similar to earth, why don't you just go random? In photoshop, you can use two simple effect to get a number of random-generated coastlines.
    Select defualt colors (black as foreground, white as background) and Filter > Rendering > Clouds.
    Then go Filter > Stylize > Trace Contour.
    Now you have a lot of random generated landmass. You can copy/paste the shapes that you like the most and make a sort of collage to determine the shape of your continents. Some editing may be required to cut some parts to obtain "island" shapes surrounded by water.
    This is what I got with a 1000x1000 image. If you use a larger map, you will have more shapes to choose from!
    Happy mapmaking! =)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TraceContour.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	43173  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Kind of like the world is not necessarily a bad thing- but if it's not what your going for, my method for drawing different worlds is to start with a single geographic or political feature that can define the world. A hypothetical example of this in our world would be the Mediterranean; an inland sea around which most major civilizations develop. Make two large oceans barely connected by a single strait of water; whoever controls that will control the most important trade route in the world. You draw a thin strait, and then expand off of that, drawing chaotically and unusually.

The base of this strategy is to avoid drawing "continents", which we will always subconsciously make to look like the ones on Earth.

My second strategy is far simpler. Draw by hand, with a pencil, on regular printer paper. If you are already doing this, relax your mind and let your hand wander without much guidance. Try to avoid angles of 90, 45, and 60 degrees.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaithion View Post
    My second strategy is far simpler. Draw by hand, with a pencil, on regular printer paper. If you are already doing this, relax your mind and let your hand wander without much guidance. Try to avoid angles of 90, 45, and 60 degrees.
    I'm back...

Well, this is the method choosed.

On first step, the map was drawn on 9 A4 paper. Then, the pieces were scanned and mixed at random.
    A way to really avoïd real world shape.

Next, Alle the pieces was put together and the border were aligned.
    Somme lands were erased, some other merged from the sea to fit to the will and totally change an "real world feeling".

This is the step the WIP stopped, by now.
    Because eastern feast approach, I got time to follow the project.

So, enjoy the rough sketch of Edaïn Arnroth... the world used in my current FantasyCraft Campaign.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDAIN ARNROTH Mars 2012.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	462.1 KB 
ID:	43614

Looks very good. Love it!
    And also love the border and the writing style! Congrats!
    This is prove that simple strategies are always the best!
    Given the choice:
    wheter to rule a corrupt and failing empire
    or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny...
    what was a King to do?
    But does anyone truly have a choice?
    One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate.
    And thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Guild Novice

Hey Morkhdull -

I know you already have what you need, but in the future here's a tip I use to generate a new landmass or world. I own a copy of Civ IV (I think Civ III would work as well), so I start it up and begin a new game. There's a lot of basic options of how you want your world to be (dry, wet, cold, hot, lots of water, less water, lots of islands, one big island, etc.), and you select what you want and the game randomly generates a map according to those criteria. Voila - instant world for your use.

Thank's a lot, Talon44. I never play CIV, but a friend of mine is a fan. So, surely, it's time to start lots of new landmass.