Thread: Roof Shingle Tutorial using Illustrator - Hand drawn line art style

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tutorial Roof Shingle Tutorial using Illustrator - Hand drawn line art style

I've been working on a way to automate the creation of roof shingles in a hand drawn style for my next papercraft project. I tried drawing the entire roof by hand, but the sizes of the shingles varied too much from area to area. After starting over multiple times I decided to try and procedurally generate the roof shingles if possible. Here are the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof shingles.jpg 
Views:	14263 
Size:	652.3 KB 
ID:	43188

And this is how I did it.

Now the next step would be to create a script that would convert a line into a row of shingles, but that is beyond my capabilities I'm afraid. I looked into scripting, but couldn't find out how to "expand appearances" with a script and gave up. I also looked into recording an action to turn a line into a row of shingles, but the "expand appearances" and distortion effects didn't record.

It's too bad really. It would be so nice if either an action or a script could turn a line into a row of shingles. If anyone knows of a way to do this... Wow, that'd be amazing!

TheRooster
    Last edited by TheRooster; 03-18-2012 at 11:22 PM.