Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 14] The Tawaren Basin

Wip [Region 1][Map 14] The Tawaren Basin

I didn't have much luck with Bryce, so I decided instead to borrow elements of my neighbor Torq's style. Since these lands are plagued, I'm giving the map a sickly-looking green-yellow tint. This image shows the applied bump map and some preliminary work on the water in my area. I've applied a satin filter to the water in lieu of a normal coastline glow, but it makes things look a bit pillowy, so I think that will go away.

In terms of settlements, I am looking at some small hidden enclaves of people who have a better-than-average level of resistance to the plague. They'll be gathered in mountain strongholds where they can easily defend themselves and keep plague sufferers away. The plains area between the two mountain ranges will have numerous ruined towns awaiting the daring and fearless adventurer who dares to risk disease.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m14-002.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	603.9 KB 
ID:	3046  
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 04-22-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

You have your work cut out for you with that piece - I'm very curious to see what you do .

Sigurd

Hey Neighbour

I think the mood of the map is great already. Looks like a hard place to live, and a pretty difficult one to map too. Really like that water effect. I cant wait to see more.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    In terms of settlements, I am looking at some small hidden enclaves of people who have a better-than-average level of resistance to the plague. They'll be gathered in mountain strongholds where they can easily defend themselves and keep plague sufferers away.

### Latest WIP ###
    That sounds both good and promising - come to think of it, an increased resistance to the plague (or the curse whatever they call it) would probably make them very cocky or feel superior to the other people of Groam - a) because they died from the plague or ran away like cowards and b) because they're, in the "Homo Superior's" eyes care nothing about others or how to get rid of the plague.
    (The second statement may as well be false, but just a little bit of propaganda can go a looooong way, right?)

I have added mountains, rivers, and forests, and I toned down the roughness. Any suggestions or pointers concerning the terrain?

Torq, according to the provided rivers map, I have a river headed straight west out of my territory into yours. It looks like it should run down out of that forested valley in the eastern part of your map. The second attached image shows the river in question.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	m14-004.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	403.6 KB 
ID:	3059  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I backtracked a little bit to try and make the mountains look more mountainous. I reworked the rivers in order to match my neighbors better, also. I didn't like the approach I took with the forests, so those went away for now.

I feel like I'm on a bit of a treadmill, but once I get comfortable with the style, I think things will go faster.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	m14-007b.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	462.8 KB 
ID:	3126  

That is looking superb. I like the almost nerve-like shape of the rivers flowing into the lake. I'm really interested to see how this one goes, as the others have said, it's a tough challenge you've set yourself (being at the heart of the plague and all).

The new mountains make it look even more foreboding. You are really capturing a mood there, which is not an easy thing to do in a map. Keep going I cant wait to see how it develops.

Torq

Added some forests, swamps, and groundcover. I think I'm ready to start adding some icons, unless someone spots something else the terrain needs. If I find some time tonight at work, I'll add a bit of narration from my cartographer persona.

So, once again, any and all commentary is welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	m14-010b.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	885.5 KB 
ID:	3174  

I think that looks great Mid. Nice colour scheme. The map is really taking shape. I cant wait to see what lies to the East of me.

Torq

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast