Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Madness at Gardmore Abbey Encounter Maps

Guild Journeyer

Jack,
    Awesome, thanks for the knowledge! I am planning on running an Eberron conversion of Madness at Gardmore Abbey in about 2-3 weeks, and i'd like to add a few maps for some of the RP situations like Lord Padriag's Audience Hall and MAYBE if i can do half of what you have going on in the maps, remake all the separate encounters of the two dungeons into combined maps (since it's hosted VT, I am not concerned with map size/printing problems). I've done some DECENT work in the past, but i want to "own" the maps i create (in case i have a Pen and paper campaign again one day) and roll20 has no export feature. ANYWAYS - to the questions. Do you use a graphics tablet in conjunction with GIMP? in retrospect, after learning the ins and out of GIMP, would you still have gone that route? or would you have picked another software like photoshop or CC3? For the all the items and such inside your maps, is there a free repository that you grabbed from, or are they all self created? Did you have any formal schooling before hopping into GIMP or is it something a moderately computer proficient person can hop into provided they clock in the man hours to learn it? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyt View Post
    Jack,Do you use a graphics tablet in conjunction with GIMP?
    No. Mouse only.

in retrospect, after learning the ins and out of GIMP, would you still have gone that route? or would you have picked another software like photoshop or CC3?
    No I would have gone for GIMP. I believe its better than Photoshop (which is not free). I don't know enough about CC3 to comment, I only know Photoshop and Gimp. Having discussed software with other cartographers on the CG I know that each person has their different preferences. You need to find a programme that suits you and make it work for you. For me, that was always going to be a good-quality open-source programme, in hindsight, so I think I personally would have ended up with GIMP whatever I tried first.

For the all the items and such inside your maps, is there a free repository that you grabbed from, or are they all self created?
    When I was making these maps I used pre-made items. If you read through my WIP thread (link in post 1) I usually link to them. For comission work (ie if I'm making a map to sell, not just for myself) I would be much more careful; but in fact nowadays I make everything myself and have a very pared down map approach. I use lots of dunjinni objects and now I always very carefully reference every pre-made item I use and check it's open source or whatever; you can see my more recent work on dunjinni Jacktannery (Jacktannery) on deviantART

Did you have any formal schooling before hopping into GIMP or is it something a moderately computer proficient person can hop into provided they clock in the man hours to learn it?
    No - that's the whole point! I am totally crap at computers and crap at art with a capital A. I just taught myself from scratch on these forums with the amazing assistance of Bogie and Jpgfrazier - in fact I taught myself making these very maps in the WIP thread. To be honest I look back at these maps and think they are a bit naff, but that's because my aesthetic has changed. Point is: you can do it.

Guild Journeyer

Jack,
    Thanks for all the in-depth answers; i will definitely arm myself with your suggestions and hop in! watching tutorials until my eyes bleed tonight! You definitively should make a tutorial!
    Last edited by Kennyt; 02-17-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected F. Randall Farmer's Avatar

I wanted to thank you for posting these wonderful maps. I wanted to share my photoblog of using them for my run of Madness at Gardmore Abbey
    The adventure starts at Winterhaven (I made my own map derived from another 3/4 perspective 3d map)
    https://the-forsite-irregulars.obsid...e-before-chaos

The map I used was the Font of Ioun - here's the post when they first encounter Berrian at the font:
    https://the-forsite-irregulars.obsid...n-the-feygrove

(we were playing outdoors, this produced a wonderful nature effect for the Feygrove!)

When they returned at the Finale, I decided to make the Font itself a custom built 3D model - (the shape and top-surface texture are from the map):
    https://the-forsite-irregulars.obsid.../the-sundering

There are lots of pictures, so please click through the links to see more.

Thanks again for the absolutely wonderful maps. I make sure to point to this site whenever I use them.

I'll definately be back for more.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected F. Randall Farmer's Avatar

Map

I have something to contribute. If my players failed to prevent the sundering of the Feyrealm from the world, the fountain was going to be completely destroyed as a result. So I have a overlay for the Font of Ioun map to share! I know it's rough, but it was only going to be looked at for less than 30 minutes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Font Gone.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	61976

I printed it, but didn't have to use it!

The blast-crater is from http://gametextures.com/ - sign up to get a licence to use.
    Last edited by F. Randall Farmer; 03-03-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Guild Applicant

Yo! Was needed in your "Main Gate", but in winter version. Spent on it some time, and get this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.The_Gates.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	68121
    I know i'm not a great master, but if someone need it...

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Dominican Republic
    Blog Entries

That is great, did you make that or this are part of the adventure pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Severino View Post
    That is great, did you make that or this are part of the adventure pack?
    Are you asking me or Randall Farmer? If me, I made these maps. The module poster maps are excellent but only four or so of the many encounters available are included, so I made the rest of them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345