Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Work In progress - Corgarian

Guild Novice

Hai-Etlik -
    Do you mind if I ask what you mean by "simple faces within a single family"? Especially the "single family" bit.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Typefaces, abbreviated as faces, are basically the same thing as Fonts. A family of fonts are very similar fonts, such as the Droid family;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a3835ab3-f704-4f7b-8ba3-248adf8d1d8b.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	43290
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Guild Novice

Wip

Hi everyone -
    I want to thank you all for your very helpful suggestions. It took some time to implement them all but I think this version is far superior. Please give me any additional feedback, as it's really useful.

Here's a list of things I did since the last version:

* Spent a lot of time making the interfaces between the rivers and oceans look more streamlined (the coast outline was a lot thicker than the river outlines, so I had to taper them down by hand to be seemless transition).

* Reduced the number of fonts from 4 to 2.

* Outlined all text in white for easier reading.

* Removed red text. Differentiation between nations and provinces is now done by text size and number of underscores

* Replaced dots for places of interest with symbols (castles, cities, ruins, etc.).

* Made the forest tiles smaller so that relative scale with mountains was more realistic.

* Added other decorations (cactuses in the desert, marsh plants, etc.)

* Removed the desert river and replaced it with a giant crack.

* Added a map legend. I also thought about adding crests for each country and duchy, but thought it would be too busy.

For fun, I'm also attaching the very first (laughable) quick digital version I did. I've come a long way I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corgarian_Map2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	43538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rect7187.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	598.4 KB 
ID:	43539  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This looks really cool!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Far superior. I like it.

One thing: What about borders?

I much preferred the original's mountains, hills and water areas. Yea, they could have stood for a bit of tweaking, but I think that they were far superior...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

@Diamond - You mean borders between nations? Like, dotted lines or something?

@jfrazierjr - The mountains are exactly the same; didn't touch them (except that the labels are on top of them now). The hills I just flipped so that the shadow is now on the right instead of the left, as suggested by someone else. The water was unchanged as well, except for the waves and rivers. So could you be more specific about what you liked better about the earlier version?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yes - national borders. The map doesn't NEED them, but it might be interesting to see what it'd look like with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon44 View Post
    @Diamond - You mean borders between nations? Like, dotted lines or something?

@jfrazierjr - The mountains are exactly the same; didn't touch them (except that the labels are on top of them now). The hills I just flipped so that the shadow is now on the right instead of the left, as suggested by someone else. The water was unchanged as well, except for the waves and rivers. So could you be more specific about what you liked better about the earlier version?
    Ah... color me confused. You said you put up the original image long with the "fixed" one. I assumed that the first was the "original"(since it's like the one in your first post) and the second was the "new" one. Sometimes words confuse me.....lol....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Oh, lol. Probably should have put the old one first, or arranged them better, but I just stuck them both on there without thinking about it. Yeah, the one on the left is the new one; one on the right is the very first one I did.

@ Diamond - I'll give it a whirl. I was also thinking that the grass and water areas could use a little texture, but having next to no practical experience with photoshop, I'm not sure how to go about that. On the other hand, maybe this is the time to learn. Maybe I'll have to have a look at a few of the tutorials.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast