Thread: Work In progress - Corgarian

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Wip Work In progress - Corgarian

Hi everyone. New to the site, new to digital cartography.

I've been browsing the site for about a month and siphoning off little tricks and hints and stylistic elements to use in a project I've been working on. It seems only fair, since the work here has been so inspiring and helpful (especially the tutorials), to share my map in progress. Actually, I consider it fairly close to finished, but I'm still open to critiques and suggestions. Although, I'm not sure how many more embellishments I can add because the file has gotten to the point where it is taxing my limited hardware.

Anyway, before I post, a little background:

This map is created for a mod that is being created for a strategy computer game that has a rather complex story and a lot of original lore. I figured it'd be helpful to have a map to go with all that story. Knowing virtually nothing about digital cartography, I started by sketching the map out on a piece of paper, scanning it, and then turning it into a digital version that wouldn't (hopefully) be laughed at. The first few versions were quite laughable. So I started looking around for resources online to help do this kind of thing and I wound up (in a roundabout way, through Amazon of all places) finding this site.

What I'm showing below is my third or fourth iteration. It's done entirely in Inkscape and all the features (mountains, trees, etc.) are original, although I did use images I found on the web for inspiration. I do realize that some parts of this map may not be completely ... er ... geologically or climatologically kosher. This is due to the fact that much of the story was written before I started thinking about any kind of logical placement of events and locations, so the world's geography was created somewhat ad hoc. Still, I've tried my best to make everything as believable as possible.

The continent where the story takes place is called Corgarian. Please tell me what you think.

(PS, This is my first image uploading here, so I'm not sure what size to make it. If this is too low res, I can make a bigger version.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corgarian_Map_small.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	43233