Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stairs?

Default Stairs?

There was some recent discussion on spiral stairs on a thread Bogie started, so I wanted to throw out a "real" try to see how you guys like this. I just made it with textures I already have, but since I used layer masks, I can easily switch them out if requested with any other texture someone can point to.

Soo.... Here is the first one. If it's good, I will work on an up and perhaps a up/down(which is considerably harder to deal with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stairs Down.png 
Views:	459 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	43261  
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 03-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks good! The shadowing where the stairs meet up with the central column seem a little dark and give the (first glance)
    impression that they aren't attached (or slope towards it).

Quote Originally Posted by maxsdaddy View Post
    Looks good! The shadowing where the stairs meet up with the central column seem a little dark and give the (first glance)
    impression that they aren't attached (or slope towards it).
    Yea.. I know what you mean... The problem though is since it's a pie shape when you do the blur it overlaps the parts(the "top" of a riser) which HAS to be sharp in order to get the "shadows'... If it's a bother, Perhaps I can add a bit more to the column itself and make it seem like it's sloped.... My main goal was making each "spoke" with a deep shadow to really sell the illusion of depth on the risers of the stairs.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Just popped to the Bogie stair post and thought "how about a rectangular landing". Gives the stairwell a place to start? And doesn't anyone ever include a hand rail. Man these spiral stairs look like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Hehe.

Nice stairs JFrazierjr! The shadows look a little dark here, but as we noticed on my other posts, I'll bet they looked just right on your computer in Gimp.

Handrails are for woosies and they get in the way of swinging a sword!

Looks pretty good to me. The thing is all the talk of shadowing totally depends on the light source. If you put a slitted window or a torch/lamp in somewhere everything is different.

If the light was coming straight down from the top things wouldn't be darker near the center column but would have a more even distribution across each step with the ones near the bottom of the staircase a bit darker over all than those nearer the top.
    If the light is near the top of the stairwell (as in on the landing) the center column would throw a straight line shadow and pretty much everything below that would be in darkness or nearly so. You might have some reflective light bouncing down a ways but nothing really great.
    A window slit or lamp half way up would look the coolest but then you would have the brightest part of the stairs being at the halfway point and more shadows farther down and up the stairs.
    No light, in an enclosed spiral staircase is probably just a great way to break someone's neck.

Your stairs get the point across very clearly however and I do not think any gamer would mistake what they were looking at.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-21-2012 at 01:05 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

How about just making a 3d stairwell, then using it as the basis for a photoshop version w. shadowing?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

It's really nice, good job!

Here is a spiral staircase shadow overlay I made a few years ago when I was using Dundjinni:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stairs_shadow.png 
Views:	2189 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	43277

It works fairly well on most surfaces, and just needs some walls drawn over top.

-Rob A>

good shadows RobA. I'll have to remember this thread
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast