Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 07] - Thrubmorton Fens

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    This reminded me of something I had posted a while ago, but can not find by searching the forums.

You can render a slight perspective map then warp it back to its actual straight overhead shape. This caused the mountains be represented in a forced isometric false perspective...

Here was the comparison image I had created:
    Attachment 3057

-Rob A>
    There's a nice article on Plan Oblique relief at the Tom Patterson site. Look around that site if you haven't already. There's a lot to learn, especially, but not exclusively, for Bryce users.

Blog Entries

Been playing some more tonight, added the mountains in and ran it a few more times with more settings. Found another minor bug in GTS...sigh. Learned a bit more about how to use it effectively. Anyway...

More WIPs. Though I think I am about done for the base tile map. I can think about some better trees, roads and positioning of some forts.

-- Edit: I have added a safe zones map. The red is monster ridden, blue is pretty safe (well lets say as safe as normal fantasy territory) and the unmarked ground is the no mans land... So if anyone wants to think about putting in forts & towns then keep it in the safe zone.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region1Map7_3.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	3065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D_Color3.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	3066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SafeZonesComposit.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	3067  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-11-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    There's a nice article on Plan Oblique relief at the Tom Patterson site. Look around that site if you haven't already. There's a lot to learn, especially, but not exclusively, for Bryce users.
    Hoho! Thanks Su_liam! Planimetric was the word I needed to stf on and couldn't remember!

Here is the whole thread that example was originally in (which was indeed inspired by the link you referenced...

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Went out for a drive in the countryside so stopped off with my map print and made some names of places. I have made that sketch a little neater now.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Region1Map7_4.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	3081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D_Color4.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	3082  

Blog Entries

Put some trees in to match up with neighbors tiles and added a swamp / marsh effect where required. In the marshes are where the monsters hang out so that gives an idea of where its dangerous. Will have to do a write up of the place names but that needs a sort of wiki to do that. Are we going to obtain a common one from somewhere ?

Oh, updated the region tile screen too - link from the grab a tile thread.
    -- Edit, I can never find that so ill inline it here too.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Region1Map7_5.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	283.2 KB 
ID:	3084  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-12-2008 at 08:56 PM.

If I had sufficient time, I'd drum up player's to game in that region, Christ! Very lovely map.

An absolute revelation Redrobes, I love it. The colours are great and the labelling top notch. You have also opened the door for the next level of mapping by being the first person to get to this stage.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Looks Good. Now to do some more work on my area's Eastern region to match up with your's.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Redrobes - One thing in your "safe area" map confused me. It seemed that all the monster-ridden areas were immediately surrounding the water and that the "safe" regions were where the highest mountains were. Is there a reason for that? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Typically, people always settle near water (for ease of movement, food, etc) and only venture into the "rougher" terrain once a certain level of military strength is achieved. Your map seems to turn that assumption on its head.

There is nothing wrong with that, but I would ask what caused the situation in your area to be so different from the norm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast