Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 07] - Thrubmorton Fens

Blog Entries

Thanks guys - centaur invasion huh ? Maybe theres a Centaur / Lizard man feud ?

The reason for the lowlands being the dangerous bis was mentioned in post #3. I figured that the whole geography was of marshy lowlands and bogs and that travel over these regions would be difficult so thats probably where the monsters might be so the people were forced onto the higher ground. The whole region is quite dangerous and theres a whole line of forts and armed places to keep the trading route open. My region seems to be a crossing point to get to and from other tiles. It does not seem like a nice pleasant area. I'll comment more later but I am bit pushed for time right now.

Centaur / Lizard man dispute sounds good. I'll make my coastal bits marshy too. I thought it would be fun to have a floating city on Lake Festus (actually it's less of a lake and more of an inland sea). The floating city is a vast collection of boats that can be hooked up together when the city 'docks'. I was thinking of sticking some mines in the mountain range to the south of you - mines mean dwarves (or if you're a warhammer player, minez meanz dwarfz), I suppose

Blog Entries

That sounds good. I have my little hafton shire with a halfling village ready for that but I figured that my rock is Karst limestone and that Dwarves would consider that too soft. I was gonna have a dwarf heading up the mines on Fentor but he does it because hes in charge - like punching above his weight cos hes not as good a miner as the best of the other dwarves. He could have been exiled or something from your group. Could have a grudge...

I left the bottom part of my map a bit clear as I didn't know what you wanted to do with your area. Centaurs would be perfect as usually they are at odds with humans considering themselves aloof and one of the older and more enlightened races. The centaurs would prove a much harder opponent than lizard men I think and would drive the humans up into the hills. I didnt think that my area would be all that full of horses so they would probably be imported from more planar areas and running them over craggy ground is not that sensible anyway. So I also doubt that centaurs would go up into the hills. So a good kind of standoff there. I think that would make my high forts of Karstview and Pludery Point the last outposts onto a sort of no mans land where if you want to go out into that area, be prepared to fight Centaur and lots of 'em.

Thats also excellent for my general prep that now the only route into Groam is via the Monkton Monastary and into Clercions unnamed town on the shores of Lake Awaur and down south from there.

Post Thrubmorton Pasties

I have some continuity issues with this.

I believe we've established that grains and most fruits (other than the small berries) have to be imported because they cannot grow naturally in the Fens.

I question having something so very definitive of the region, of which the contents are nearly completely imported (the flour and the fruit, unless you're using the home-grown berries). If outside trade is halted for for whatever reason, it seems the Thrubmortons(?) may start to lose a bit of their identity.

Otherwise, I think the idea is a grand one. I love the bit of culture it brings to the area.

-IG

*Edit* Just so you'll know, I've moved on to your area for editing. You've provided a wealth of information, which helps. I'm at work now, but barring any emergencies (I do work in a jail), I should have it done by the time I leave in the morning.
    Last edited by industrygothica; 04-27-2008 at 02:23 AM.

Ok, it's done. For continuity I changed the layout to match what I did for the Beastlands and reworded some stuff.

I've kept the original on my flash drive, just in case everyone hates it.

-IG

Blog Entries

I think its more than a reformat. I don't think that there is a single paragraph that hasn't been essentially rewritten. Theres loads of stuff that has been removed or is now changed from the intentions of the area. The category that I made has been removed making my page uncategorized again.

We have a whole world to build. There are just 25 pages in the whole wiki of which my one is the largest at a mere 6K. If were worried enough about where the berries for a local pasty come from then this wiki is completely off the rails.

We don't need all that much stuff changed. The stuff we need changed are things that contradict the overall plan or the interfaces between areas and we definitely done need very much stuff removed.

I think ill hold off adding any more stuff to it until some kind of established format and protocol gets put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I think its more than a reformat. I don't think that there is a single paragraph that hasn't been essentially rewritten. Theres loads of stuff that has been removed or is now changed from the intentions of the area. The category that I made has been removed making my page uncategorized again.

We have a whole world to build. There are just 25 pages in the whole wiki of which my one is the largest at a mere 6K. If were worried enough about where the berries for a local pasty come from then this wiki is completely off the rails.

We don't need all that much stuff changed. The stuff we need changed are things that contradict the overall plan or the interfaces between areas and we definitely done need very much stuff removed.

I think ill hold off adding any more stuff to it until some kind of established format and protocol gets put in place.
    As for the catagory, that was an oversight. I didn't mean to leave that out.

For the rest of the stuff, I thought I was doing what I was supposed to be doing. It wasn't my intent to change the intention of your area; I thought I'd kept it true.

Regardless, I apologize if I overstepped. I've changed it back to the way it was and will leave your area alone in the future.

Blog Entries

I'm sorry for my waspish response there IG. I was a little shocked thats all and I reckon that the basis of my shock was that my expectations of the way the wiki is being made is different to the way its intended.

I think that you should be editing the Thrub region in the wiki but my expectation was that it would be minor edits to fix up the disparities to the different regions or do the general maintenance. I can see that the intention is to apply more general formatting and narrative to them.

I just started writing any old nonsense that I thought would relate to the area I am doing though I have a lot more in my head. So it started with Wyverns and pasties but I think that maybe I should have started with more top down information like the captial forts and castles, major power bases, influential people etc.

I can see that there needs to be a more two way thing going on. Maybe have a mapper scratch pad area of information to be formatted and embellished by the editors and that the editors discuss some of the more fundamental changes being made to see if it fits in.

So I will provide some better detail about the area and post it here in a looser uncorrelated fashion and hope that you will take that and make something of it.

More info later as I am out of time again...

I do apologize for the confusion and the shock.

Once a standard format is decided upon by the editors there should be much less confusion, I think. I've thrown an idea out to the others and am waiting now for them to either approve it or suggest an alternative. Hopefully that won't be long and everything will get sorted out soon.

-IG

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keep in mind, the pages of the Wiki have a discussion tab at the top that can be used to talk about whats being done to the page...That migh tbe a good way to throw down ideas so they're easy to move from discussion to active.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast