Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Map of [Region Name Here]

Quote Originally Posted by octopod View Post
    I'd love to see the next version of it, though, and see which of those schemes you end up going with!

If you're going to go with the one-sided mountain range thing, though, you might just want to have three plates -- the one in the north, the ocean one, and then a giant one containing the other two continents and starting to split apart where that bay is. I really do like the Gulf of California idea, still. Like this? (Now I've marked dark grey for inactive and red for active Cascades-style arc volcanism.)
    Attachment 43326
    Yeah, I'm going to try to get something out tonight or tomorrow; I've been busy the last couple days preparing for a couple of job interviews though, so I don't have anything quite yet. By gulf of California you mean the divergent boundary forming the bay in the south, correct? Sounds good to me. If I'm going along with that, would it make more sense to have there be mountains stretching along the northern shore of the southern gulf from the desert isthmus west to the coastal mountains, or would it be better just to leave that as lowlands and potentially its own watershed? Hopefully that makes sense, haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Wow, thanks! I really appreciate it! Are you a Star Wars fan by any chance? I think I detect some of that, lol. I could be wrong though. I have a name for some of the geographical sub-regions (mostly Latinate), but not for any of the individual kingdoms, or for the continent as a whole, so these should come in handy! I also may use some of the alternate names for places on different continents, once I'm done with this one.
    Go for it, I'm glad if it helps! I don't know if there's much Star Wars, I tend to just imagine some basic phonemes for a language and string them together. Then, sometimes, I make a bit of a joke of it and add roots from a language I might (vaguelly) know and get fantasy names that way. For the first one I used roots from my language (which is why I also took the trouble of writing a vague phonetic pronounciation ), the second I just went for gutturals while trying to avoid making it sound Arabic, and the last one is quite obviously partly derived from an alternate spelling of Italian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12