Thread: Map of [Region Name Here]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Map of [Region Name Here]

Hi, everyone, this is a map of a region of a world I am creating. As you can see, it's more of a simple schematic atm, but I have begun to draw some of the coastline (including getting a bit carried away on the fjords to the North). Basically everything except the black coastline is obviously just a placeholder to get a feel of how the land is situated to other things such as tundra and desert, separated by a very large inland sea to the east. To the west, an ocean across which lies the elven lands. Or something like that. So far, I've already devised a number of sub-regions, including the southwest area playing home to a once great power (a la Roman Empire) but now religious protectorate (almost sounds like the Vatican, doesn't it?). This faction has been conspiring with the elves across the way to commit X not-yet-determined nefarious act. The Nords (also having had their heyday earlier in history) predictably do the igloo thing in the snow. In between lies the main kingdom, which has come to prominence only recently, and whose sub-regions represent various nations of medieval Europe. To the northwest there will be a magical island of fairies and leprechauns- I'm only half kidding there. To the far south, a kind of pirate confederation rules the sea. You could say I've taken the Europe metaphor pretty far, but I'd like to hide that if at all possible.

Oh yeah, I guess I should clarify that the full image will be 12" by 12". The brown and grey are meant to indicate elevation, and blue means water, green means forest, etc. The yellow-green is a swamp, and the lighter brown spots in the mountains are passes. This is my first time attempting a large map, and I'm just doing it for kicks and giggles really. So give me feedback on my ideas, and I guess in terms of the map itself you could critique the shape of the continent or the placement of forests or something. I guess it's a bit silly to ask for feedback this early on, but hey, the more advice I get now, the less I have to change after I'm supposedly done. XD

P.S. my photoshop is broken and text doesn't show up at all, no matter what I change the size or color to. Obviously labels will be necessary at some point, so does anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Scipio; 03-21-2012 at 09:16 PM.