Thread: BattleMaster - Map of Atamara

Wip BattleMaster - Map of Atamara

Atamara (original)
    This is a map of Atamara from the online RPG game http://www.battlemaster.org

Atamara (Fury edit)
    This is the same map graphically overhauled using Paint.Net.

The original map cannot be changed too much as it is used in the game so the basic shape and locations of various features (terrain type, structures) need to remain.

Attachment 43324Attachment 43374
    Last edited by Fury; 03-25-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Added shoreline & thumbnails

Guild Apprentice

Cool!

I'm not sure why, but it looks like the land is floating in the sky rather than surrounded by water. It may be that the lighter colors seem to continue underneath the land mass rather than around it and possible the water could use maybe some indication that its hitting up against land?

I plan to overhaul my still in progress map too, so I'll be keeping an eye on this!

Thanks

Yes, I get the floating impression too. Water hitting up against the land is a great idea. I'll have to experiment. Which particular parts of the map did you like?

Guild Apprentice

I do like the fact that you added depth to the map, previously the terrain looked quite flat. However, I feel that some of the details were lost (the forests no longer look like forests, but rather darker scratchier blobs of dark green).

Did you get the map in a layer version? If you did, I would suggest keeping the landforms in your new map and overlaying the icons of mountains/trees/cities on top of it.

The original map wasn't in layers. It was created in AoW1 IIRC. I prefer the realistic perspective look. In the original map the trees were rather large in relation to the cities. So if they now look like forests rather than individual trees, then yeah that's the look I'm going for

I don't know if it makes sense but I settled for the darker, grittier more vibrant look rather than the iconic map look. Also, I'm not sure if I can make waves hitting the land but I could make the shoreline a bit different.

Shoreline added now. It shouldn't look like it's floating anymore
    So, if no one else has comments I'm going to post this in the Finished Maps.

Nice maps!

It makes me want to play Civ again