Thread: Plate Tectonics, Hadley Cells, Erosion ... Any Good 2D Software?

Default Plate Tectonics, Hadley Cells, Erosion ... Any Good 2D Software?

Does anyone know if there is software available somewhere on the 'Net (or in a store) that draws up (or allows you to set) tectonic plate boundaries on an existing, blank, or randomly generated map, which then runs a simulation to deform those plates and subsequent land masses (semi-)realistically?

I've noted the problem that Fractal Height Generators put all of their mountains in the center of the land masses, which just looks uncomplicated and predictable after a while. However, I've seen a fair amount of interest in some automated process that would create more realistic land masses (perhaps globally). Is there anyone out there with any leads on current software?

Also, if this software incorporates Erosion effects and Wind/Ocean Currents due to the Hadley Cells, I would consider that a plus. I'm interested to hear about any software at all, but hope that it will be more global/regional than extremely local and 3D rendering.

Thanks in advance for any response to this tall order! []

Blog Entries

You might try playing with GPlates. It won't do a complete geological simulation, but it looks like it could at least let you drift your plates to see where they would collide.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    You might try playing with GPlates. It won't do a complete geological simulation, but it looks like it could at least let you drift your plates to see where they would collide.
    Will look into, Hai-Etlik. Thanks!

This looks interesting: http://sourceforge.net/projects/platec/

monks