Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished map of Kėllon

Oops! Now I get it, silly me! There's some chocolate candy here in Spain named Conguitos and I was stuck thinking that they were giving me some candy or something similar to rep. But I couldn't quite understand where did a rat fit in there....

Veldehar, I hope you're right about the client, thanks for the support!
    Last edited by rapatuan; 03-26-2012 at 11:45 AM.

As promised here are some close up shots:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AntonioAzpitarte_Kellon15.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	43409
    Underwater volcano and a view of some islands

Name:	AntonioAzpitarte_Kellon1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	43410
    To add interest to the ocean parts I added some elements like on the ancient maps, except that instead of marine monsters I added whales, a giant squid and a wrecking place like the bermuda triangle. On this pic you can see the shipwrecking place (lower left) and a couple of whales.

Name:	AntonioAzpitarte_Kellon10.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	43411
    There was a lighthouse in the original map and I couldn'y find a suitable icon to represent it, so I went the artistic way and draw a lighthouse from scratch, but then another problem arose: why this artistic element in the map when all the other elements where depicted as icons? It caused some sort of unbalance, eased in some way by the presence of the volcanoes, mainly the underwater one, but it still was a very isolated element on a very big map. I didn't like the representation I had chosen to show the railways, and then I found a way to solve both problems and add some flavour to the map: I would insert some locomotives here and there to make clear that we were dealing with railways, and to counterbalance that I'd add some ships and marine courses to the sea with the objective of adding some interest to the ocean.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus van der Kroft View Post
    Cartographers can be a very bloodthirsty bunch.
    Mwahahahahaaaa!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rapatuan View Post
    There was a lighthouse in the original map and I couldn'y find a suitable icon to represent it, so I went the artistic way and draw a lighthouse from scratch, but then another problem arose: why this artistic element in the map when all the other elements where depicted as icons? It caused some sort of unbalance, eased in some way by the presence of the volcanoes, mainly the underwater one, but it still was a very isolated element on a very big map. I didn't like the representation I had chosen to show the railways, and then I found a way to solve both problems and add some flavour to the map: I would insert some locomotives here and there to make clear that we were dealing with railways, and to counterbalance that I'd add some ships and marine courses to the sea with the objective of adding some interest to the ocean.
    Cool way of handling it! I think it works. Those particular details don't seem out of place to me, and I do agree that it adds a bit of extra flavor to the map as a whole.

Very nice. I really like the little artistic touches like the trains, ships, volcanoes, and clouds. The lightening in particular is pretty cool. It's a very sharp colorful work that really cathes the eye. Very nice, sir!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Really nice, loved the shorelines

But the snow on some of the mountain ridges particularly in the north makes them look somewhat like skeletal spines.

Thanks. I have to agree that the mountains are far from perfect... I'll have to improve.

Here are some more close up shots:

Name:	AntonioAzpitarte_Kellon7.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	43726
    A ghost ship awaiting between the clouds

Name:	AntonioAzpitarte_Kellon14.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	387.2 KB 
ID:	43727
    A detailed view of the labeling

Name:	AntonioAzpitarte_Kellon13.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	43728
    Some pirate ships

I also made a political version of the map wich will be printed on the backside of the other one. Here it is. I'm very pleased with the final result.

Name:	Mapa Kellon Politico_FINAL_100ppp.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	565.0 KB 
ID:	44463

That turned out very nicely! Great job Rapatuan.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Those clouds! How? I must now!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast