Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished map of Kėllon

Map Finished map of Kėllon

Hello,

I just finished a map for a spansih RPG, Taura, Lands of Alchemy, and I'm quite glad of the result so I thought about showing it on the guild. I've created it using different techniques learnt on the guild. If you have some specific question, don't be afraid to ask, I'll be more than happy to answer it.

Here's the map at 100ppp:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapa Kellon_FINAL_100ppp.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	43383

I'll be posting details at higher resolution tomorrow.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Up near Tierras Salvajes there are a couple rivers that dont go anywhere.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Wow really cool style rapatuan! I can tell a lot of work went into this. The only thing i would do differently is give the mountains the same perspective as the rest of your elements. the forests and clouds look like they are viewed from a 50-60 degree angle but the mountains are from directly above.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Lalaithion, the original concept of the map provided by the client contained a lot of flaws regarding rivers. I had a lot of concernes about it, so I posted this http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...garding-rivers searching for some help. I talked a lot to the client and decided to change the original rivers to make them more realistic. Only a few of the not-ending-in-the-sea where left unchanged.

Slylok, I began the map looking for a top-down view, but then in some parts changed the perspective to a 60ŗ facing view. The problem is I already had the mountains and roads laid down and didn't have the courage to change their perspective. I agree with you in that it would definetely look better the other way. The concept of the map shifted from photorealism to illustration during its creation, and finally ended being nor one nor the other, but i like how it ended anyway.

Wow! No two ways about it, it looks gorgeous. I love the colours, they're so vibrant and wholesome I can just imagine playing in this setting, it draws you in so well.

Have some rep and more congo rats!

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

I really, really like this map. As Lukc mentioned, the colours, the colours!

I also like the detail of the sea routes between ports. Mind if I copy the idea? The clouds also give it a very refreshing look.

One question, though, since the map is in Castillian: Where the "Imperio Ķldat" is located, there is also a "Mar Ildita". Shouldn't the gentilic be "Ķldita" rather than "Ildita"?

Great piece of work. Reputation for you!
    Last edited by Klaus van der Kroft; 03-26-2012 at 09:30 AM.

nice work! it looks great!
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Thanks for the comments! About the Ķldita, I really don't know and I'd have to ask, I kept thinking of the similarity between Mar Ildita an Maldita (Cursed) but never thought about been related to Ķldat. Your remark is very reasonable. It's been proofread several times by the author of the game but maybe he skipped it.

About the colours, at some time they were too imposing and brilliant and tried to mute them a bit to make it more realistic, but in the end I choosed this not-so-realistic-more cartoony look and I'm glad I did. I really hope the client likes it too!

P.S. what is rep and congo rats? It has something to do with the forums or is it some sort of jargon that I don't understand?

P.S. Ok I sorted out the rep thing in the faq (Thanks a lot!) but still don't know what congo rats stands for... anyway, thanks one more time!

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Congratulations > Congrats > Congo-Rats!

That, or some people dislike your map so much they are sending you giant vermin from the deepest jungles of Africa to eat your eyes while you sleep.

Cartographers can be a very bloodthirsty bunch.

Guild Adept

A very attractive map, nice style. One would think the client will be pleased.

Congo Rats are tastier than most rats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast