Thread: Maps needed for the New Horizon RPG - paying job

Guild Applicant

Map Maps needed for the New Horizon RPG - paying job

Hello

My name is Michal Lysek, and I am one of the co-founders on the New Horizon RPG.
    www.newhorizonrpg.com

In short, New Horizon is a new role-playing game played out on an alien world which humanity have adopted for their own and experiencing exciting adventures while exploring the wild and unknown. It is a mixture between fantasy and science fiction, even if the later is mostly its main topic.

We are in need of a cartographer who could help us out with maps.
    I often hire artists for different kind of work, but this is the first time I turn to people skilled in creating maps. And we are in grave need of it.

You can find my e-mail on the website, so please contact me if you are interested. And if you have any questiosn then please state them here...
    Last edited by Lysekoid; 03-26-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Lysekoid, please read the sticky and update your post with more additional details. Things such as map style(check out the finished maps section and link to some you think would fit the style you are looking for), time limits, size expectations, copyright/license details(plus, you may want to make sure you understand the difference. Copyright is ownership while license is usage terms and typically the former is much more expensive to obtain than the latter), etc.

The more information you can provide, the better chance of receiving multiple interested parties.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Thank you jfrazierjr for your advice, and allow me to start over...

As mentioned in the post above, this project is about making maps for the Fantasy/Sci-Fi world called New Horizon.
    We are in need of many new maps, and we are happy to pay the Cartographer to help us out.
    Once I have selected the Cartographer (one or several) I want to work with, I will send him/her one of our books, the Campaign Setting Guide, so that he/she may be able to read up on our geography, cities and factions, knowledge which will be needed to do the job. All info will be provided!

Subject

World map:
    One job will be to update our world map: http://www.newhorizonrpg.com/images/image_map.jpg
    This is a large world, but the map is so much zoomed out that you barely see any details. I do not require coloring, although it would be appreciated. However, if you cannot color, then don't worry, I have other artists who can color it for me afterwards.
    This map we have is generally ok in terms of continents and boundaries. In other words, you are not allowed to change the continents or land boundaries since they are already set in stone. However, the part that's called Verdura that looks like an angel on its knees is just stupid and must be remade. What will be your main task is adding much more details to the continents we already have, small rivers, lakes, outcrops, roads, trees (preferably with knowledge about the New Horizon flora) and more.

I don't have anything specific in mind when it comes to how the end result should be. It can be something like this:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AdjVtu9PCN...d-map-1024.jpg
    or this:
    http://www.stargazersworld.com/wordp...stic_thumb.jpg

City maps:
    We have a lot of cities in our world, and we need maps of at least 5 of the largest ones.
    They could be something like this:
    http://wiki.rpg.net/images/0/01/ALVA...ed_medium).gif
    http://www.0onegames.com/images/prod...003/shot02.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_edfdVc9_vC...-map-whole.jpg
    http://www.avalon-rpg.com/images/mercinaebig.gif
    http://versionthis.com/~npilon/wp-co...1/t8_capal.png

I will first ask you to show me some of the work you've done before. Or to make a small example, low resolution, and show me what you can do.I am fairly flexible, so just show me what you can do and I'll see how it can be used.

The scale of the map will depend on each project of course. I am fairly flexible though, so we'll decide on something suitable without much effort.

Style

New Horizon is a sci-fi world with the soul of fantasy.
    So I would therefore advice adding high-tech elements to the created maps, like metal roofs, etc., to show a mixture between old (fantasy) and new (high tech sci-fi).

Quality & Size

We will use these maps for our books, so print quality in necessary.
    3000 x 3000 pixels and 300 dpi for the final product is thus necessary.

Time Constraints

I want to start as soon as possible, but we don't have any hard deadlines for the project.
    Within 2-3 months perhaps, and I'm fairly flexible.

Once I've seen what you can do, we can decide on these details, and well as payment.

Copyright

Since this is a paying job, all copyriths must be given to New Horizon Game Studios.
    I would like reproduction rights to the map
    I would like copyright of the map
    I would like to have the right to use the image for commercial purposes.

You will have the right to show off your images of course, as long as you write that it's a property of New Horizon Game Studios and link to our webpage.

Contact Details

michal@newhorizonrpg.com
    Last edited by Lysekoid; 04-01-2012 at 06:44 AM.

If your interested in a hand drawn(or possibly pseudo hand drawn....as in me making a number of symbols and re-using), I might be open to the world map. My biggest issue is with timing.. if your flexible for 2-4 months, this would be something I would love to do(mainly to just be motivated to do something...)

Most of my maps are unfinished, but should still give you somewhat of an idea of what you can expect:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...on-of-Baldimar
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Principalities

I will say, there are many more talented artists here and who can probably finish faster.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    If your interested in a hand drawn(or possibly pseudo hand drawn....as in me making a number of symbols and re-using), I might be open to the world map. My biggest issue is with timing.. if your flexible for 2-4 months, this would be something I would love to do(mainly to just be motivated to do something...)

Most of my maps are unfinished, but should still give you somewhat of an idea of what you can expect:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...on-of-Baldimar
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Principalities

I will say, there are many more talented artists here and who can probably finish faster.
    Thank you, but I am in need of much higher quality (no offense).
    And I am known to pay well for the quality I require.

Check out the new Starter Guide 2.0 we now have available at ur webpage and you'll see what quality I usually go for...

Guild Applicant

Several people have contacted me already, interested in the job, but the position is still open for a few more days, so get back to me if you're interested,

Quote Originally Posted by Lysekoid View Post
    Thank you, but I am in need of much higher quality (no offense).
    Well....I was going by a few of your links, namely styles of your first linked overland map as well as the first and third city maps of which I could could easily accomplish. I could also come close to your second link, but again, I tend to prefer the hand drawn look and don't generally want to do city style maps. Now, if you had said that is not the style you are looking for, that would have been a totally different matter. I know the style I play with is not something everything likes just like there are plenty of styles I don't particularly like. Especially given that both of those are still WIP's as opposed to finished pieces(and likely Baldimar is the only one that will get finished.. eventually)

Speaking of which, I wonder(not blaming you, so please don't take offense!) if that image is a possible a copyright violation. That image was created by one of our own here at Cartographers Guild

In any event, I was more throwing out there as a "last resort" as I know there are plenty of better cartographers but I also know many of them are solidly booked. So, since you have interested parties who could likely do faster and closer to a style you want in the end, no harm no foul....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Journeyer

Hi.

I realize this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but i thought i would point out a few things...

* The world map you have is pretty, but was made without considering how a globe translates to a flat map. Since nearly the whole world is displayed (minus some at the poles) in nearly a square shape, wrapping that map around a sphere will result in serious distortion everywhere. I.E. geography around the equator would have to be stretched about 200% horizontally to make this map cover a sphere. If you ever want to "view from space" of this moon, you'll need to do some revising.

* The numbers would make this moon smaller than earth, but comparable. Yet the way the details are rendered, implies that these are moderately large islands. Youzen for instance is comparable in size to Eurasia, but has one river system, one mountain range, and one forest. Eurasia has bunches of each.

It's up to the creator to decide which aspects of reality to worry about-- and to what degree. You may not care about these points, or you may decide that it's too late.

But if you are concerned, my experience in cartography is mostly starts with home-brew RPG worlds with various sketchy, and sometimes improbable source maps. I translating them into something geographically and environmentally plausible with minimum impact on the on the details that are important to the story.

My maps aren't usually painterly, but a flat atlas style. This has the advantage in that with minimal extra cost/effort, i can provide maps of any part of the world in correct perspective-- for instance the poles, or individual continents.

I've also provided most of my clients with a map you view in Google Earth, so you can rotate and zoom in on their world as they want.

My Map Portfolio.

If this sounds interesting send me a PM.