Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Nosgoth

Default [WIP] Nosgoth

Here are the results of my efforts so far. Obviously, it's not finished: I still have to fix vegetation, add labels, borders, and other details.
    I think rivers and dimensions (texture sizes, mountain ranges lenght, trees) look more natural, what do you think?
    Rivers Police, please check and comment!
    And any suggestions welcome! =)

*** LATEST WIP***
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-Nosgoth.jpg 
Views:	2159 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	43402  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looking pretty good ... I don't see any river violations, although the one large lake with no outlet looks kind of odd. Underwater outlets and things do exist though, so I don't think that's a major problem. I love the volcano. You do have a bit of forest peeking through your border on the SE side of the map, and the underwater contours are a little strong for my taste, but really that's a nitpick. Overall I think you're on the right track

Yeah, about those trees... I use a potent alchemical fertilizer, they grow everywhere!
    No, those small errors will go away when I add the border!

You're right about the lake. This was originally a map from a videogame, and the original versions was not very realistic. In fact, I tried to reshape things to make them more natural. I was thinking about adding a river from that lake, but the only way would be the southeastern forest. I can reshape morphology so that it makes sense, and it would add some color in the endless green. Still thinking about that!

I must admit the volcano came quite good, didn't think I could make it so! I'm really happy with it too! Thanks for the positive feedback, hope to have a definitive version soon! =)

You could also put salt pans around it to the southeast -- that might look cool!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That volcano is damn nice.

Great job so far and the cracked lava is rockin cool
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Very good. One thing that looks a little bit odd is the light on the mountains, they seem to reflect very much light, almost like glass mountains.
    I have to second my colleagues, the lava is awesome.

Thank you all for the feedback! I'm really glad of the positive comments, good results give the endless hours spent drawing a reason to be! =)

Salt pans would indeed be cool, but since this is the map of a videogame's world, I'm afraid that would change things too much. The northern part of the map is covered in snow, it's the cold north. That volcano is a result of sorcery, and that's why it's so different from the rest of the landscape. Perhaps next time!

About the mountains, yeah, I may have been too generous with lighting. I'll try and play a bit with effects to smooth reflection a bit. I think I'm going to edit a lot of things once I add the parchment texture in the final steps!

Guild Adept

The water and mountains seem a bit "hyper-real" f that comment makes any sense, LOL. Might be the reflections. The water is at once pretty, and visually a bit disturbing to my eye. Not that disturbing my eye is necessarily a bad thing, LOL, as it seems to fit the styling of the map.

I agree, there was too much reflection on mountains, and I had to modify shallow water elevation because it was too deep. Hopingly it will be better in the upcoming final version of the map!
    Given the choice:
    wheter to rule a corrupt and failing empire
    or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny...
    what was a King to do?
    But does anyone truly have a choice?
    One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate.
    And thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast