Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gimp 2.8 (Currently Preview)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Gimp 2.8 (Currently Preview)

Hi all,

I recently downloaded the preview of Gimp 2.8 (2.7.5 development release) and I'm finding it's all I hoped it would be, but I've been doing mostly family photo retouching with it and not mapping yet. So I thought I'd start this thread to find out if anyone else is using the 2.8 preview, and how it's working out for your mapping.

Anyone have any experiences yet?

<--- using...

I JUST found out via the IRC channel and talking with one of the devs that resources split into sub folders will not "auto tag". ie, the sub folder names will now become tags. For me, this replaces much of the "love" I had for the functionality in GURM.

Layer Groups is rather nice, but currently you can't mask at the group level(still have to mask each layer individually... not sure if this will make it into 2.8 either)

The big change IMHO is the brush dynamics. This is a great new feature. Unfortunately, 2.8 won't have "live" preview similar to the way PS does with it's brush dynamics preview though...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Huh, I haven't seen the new brush dynamics yet, that's cool. I'll have to check it out. The layer groups (even individually masked) are the one BIG plus for me. I can get up to a hundred tiny layers going on a map when I start putting labels on etc. and not being able to group them sucked!

Well, looks like I'll be switching back to 2.6 for the foreseeable future, which makes me sad. I ran into this problem (namely, the pressure on my tablet doesn't register correctly) while doing my latest handdrawn style test and it looks like there's no fix on the horizon per the 2.7.5 release notes page:

GIMP 2.8 relies on a newer version of GTK+2 that unfortunately has partially broken support for graphics tablets such as Wacom. If your graphic tablet doesn't work in GIMP 2.8 as it should, we recommend downgrading to 2.6 until we release GIMP 3.0 that relies on GTK+3 which has fully functional support for advanced input devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Well, looks like I'll be switching back to 2.6 for the foreseeable future, which makes me sad. I ran into this problem (namely, the pressure on my tablet doesn't register correctly) while doing my latest handdrawn style test and it looks like there's no fix on the horizon per the 2.7.5 release notes page:
    Well... if your up for a challenge, you could always try to compile gtk+ yourself. I had some issues after I unplugged my tablet and had to recompile gtk+ with an optional setting to get it to work again(was greyed out as it if could not find it after a re-plug in). However, that was on linux and was a linux specific flag(well.. non Windows specific flag would be more appropriate wording) to the gtk compile script and have had no issues since then.

I assume you have the version from Partha? I don't know if Gimp expects GTK to already be installed(I think the windows version installs for your) or not. However, Partha might be willing to give a try to compile gtk+ if he can find the root cause and the issue is NOT related to a code change he would have to make(ie, he may need to do as I did and pass a flag to the gtk+ compile script)
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I do in fact have Partha's version. I'll have to give that a try, thanks!

Well, now that 2.8 is actually out (thanks for mentioning that in a different thread, jfrazierjr!) the release notes have a blurb about pressure & tablets that looks promising. Gonna give it another try, keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm still on 2.6 and since I'm in the midst of a challenge entry I don't think I will be trying any upgrades. Once I'm done with that however I will jump on this.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

From what i can tell, the issue seems to be specific to some tablets and OS != linux(ie, windows... not sure about Mac). Best I can say would be to install 2.8, test and if you have issues, revert to 2.6 as documented(or better yet, just run linux!!!!!) I am getting my new computer sometime tomorrow, so in the next day or so, I will likely give it a try with my Bamboo tablet. Then, I will split the partition and install linux and just use that for everything since I know it works....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Ha. Yeah, I loved my linux box but ended up giving the machine away. Although I hear horrible things about the state of ubuntu these days Damn shame, that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast