Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The World of Spriggvärld

Guild Apprentice

Default The World of Spriggvärld

This is my first map, done in Adobe Illustrator and later transfered to Photoshop. I've included a link below that my players will be using that uses the google API to allow you to annotate the map.
    (Its a great website and the service is free, if you guys don't know about this already!)

I am planning an atlas version of this map already as this is the map the players will be using and one of the things they will find out is how similar the map is to the real world (Its pretty similar minus a few key points).
    The map is supposed to represent the world several decades ago and they will be surprised to find how much it has changed...

http://mashupforge.com/821/QvcbaLm5x...PNZku9RJbRwAq/

Here is the attached version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap-done1.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	43408

Let me know if you guys want a .psd of this to modify for your own needs.

Guild Apprentice

Whoa! This is pretty awesome map. Except for the name. How do you pronounce the ä?

"\ ä \ as in bother, cot. The symbol \ä\ represents
    the vowel of cot, cod, and the stressed vowel
    of collar in the speech of those who pronounce this vowel
    differently from the vowel in caught, cawed, and caller."
    ??guess??

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    "\ ä \ as in bother, cot. The symbol \ä\ represents
    the vowel of cot, cod, and the stressed vowel
    of collar in the speech of those who pronounce this vowel
    differently from the vowel in caught, cawed, and caller."
    ??guess??
    Thats about right! I'm actually not quite sure myself (I'm asian and suck at any of the northern european languages) My boyfriend actually came up with the name and hes swedish. Its supposed to mean scattered world in swedish

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wonderful map.

I would like to see the original illustrator version, just to make out what you added in PS.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 03-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

That's really cool! I like the feel of it in general. It seems like it could've all been done by hand.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    That's really cool! I like the feel of it in general. It seems like it could've all been done by hand.
    Aside from using a computer for all my input everything pretty much was using a wacom tablet drawing all the lines in by hand I am not good with fancy photoshop effects so all the little details and lines were done like that. The shading/fine lines took a ton of time and I was really sick of coloring mountains after a while...

I really like the style, it's almost like it was painted with a brush or something. It looks like it could be visitor map for an actual place. Is the sun in the middle of the map? I think that works for the shadows you have. If not they might be a little odd.

Stand by for Rep smack!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lothel View Post
    Aside from using a computer for all my input everything pretty much was using a wacom tablet drawing all the lines in by hand I am not good with fancy photoshop effects so all the little details and lines were done like that. The shading/fine lines took a ton of time and I was really sick of coloring mountains after a while...
    Ahh, intriguing! I just recently got an entry level wacom tablet as well, all because of cartography, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I believe you, about getting sick of the coloring! Hehe. But I'm glad you stuck it out. The individual touches and details make this map more personal. Personally, I started out with an enjoyment of the consistency of something like CC3, but I've quickly grown to appreciate and admire the intricacies of work like this even more.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I really like the style, it's almost like it was painted with a brush or something. It looks like it could be visitor map for an actual place. Is the sun in the middle of the map? I think that works for the shadows you have. If not they might be a little odd.

Stand by for Rep smack!
    The light is indeed coming from the middle of the map. Its one of the hidden clues for my players that the ocean is not quite as empty as this map might portray... Not sure if they'll pick up on something like that but I wanted to foreshadow the end of the game from the beginning so that hopefully at the end everything clicks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast