Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlas of the Flanaess part 45

Map Atlas of the Flanaess part 45

To show you that I have been a good mapper like all you others I present my latest in my Greyhawk series.
    This time it is the northern part of Foryondy, Veluna and the southern part of the Vesve Forest.
    //Anna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq45_2008-04-12.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	3088  

Praise

Lovely stuff, Anna!

These maps are a joy to look at and have already been of great use in our current campaign. Do keep up the good work, it's very much appreciated

WOW! That is one great looking map! Almost makes me want to run a Greyhawk campaign
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 04-14-2008 at 03:30 AM.

Beauty! Sheer Beauty!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Praise

I am constantly impressed by your work for its detail, continuity, and synthesis of Greyhawk lore. Eagerly looking forward to your next masterpiece.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Aww I’m blushing here from all the good words

An updated version is will be ready soon, the Experts at Canonfire have helped me with corrections. I have the best of two worlds, mapping gurus on this site and Greyhawk experts on Canonfire. I need both for my mapping.

After this I will move south to cover southern Veluna, Lortmils western Celene and the Ulek states.

//Anna

Goodness, how much more is there left to go? (I know of Greyhawk but am unfamiliar with the scale of the thing).

p.s. I think your work needs an entry on Wikipedia or such. It's too good a resource not to make available to the world.

The scary (or exciting) thing is just how much there is left of the Flanaess to detail. A GIS will quickly give you an idea of the task that Anna has taken on, and it's amazing that she does it with such style! When the Atlas is finished, I'm thinking of wallpapering my study with it!

The Greyhawk campaign setting has existed for thirty years or so, but in all that time (I think I'm right in saying) it has never been mapped as comprehensively as in Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess. As a Greyhawk player and a lover of maps, I consider myself very fortunate that someone is treating the Flanaess so well.

Thank you again guys :-)

There is ALOT more to map, look at my overview picture attached. But now my style has been set so now its sheer research and then to simply sit down and do it!

I’m not the first to take on mapping Greyhawk. There are two official maps of the campaign setting. The original made by Darlene and very artistic but had hexes which was in the mood in the late 70s early 80s.

The second mapping of the Flanaess (which is the name of the part of the continent which the campaign is set) was for D&D 3rd edition. It came in 2 versions and improved in detail a bit and was drastically different from the Darlene maps in style.

My plan to map the whole area for the Greyhawk campaign started in the mid 80s as a paper project. My aim was back then simply to get the details in the text in the right place. Then I saw what computers could do and a plan started to form – I’m going to learn how to make maps using computers.
    I bought an AMIGA 1000 computer when it came out 1985 and got to work. The results weren’t that impressing.

The breakthrough came 1997 when Bryce 2 was released for Windows. I had read about Bryce 1 for the Mac and saw the light – this is a tool I must have, almost ran off to buy a Mac when I read the article.

With Bryce2 I started my effort anew. This was in the infancy of the Internet so I had to learn by trial and error. But after a couple of years I had developed the techniques I’m still using. The project has grown in size and it is a constant upgrading to keep it workable, but so far Moores Law has been on my side :-)

A very good mapper named Eric Anondson made a splendid effort to map the Flanaess a few years back, but sadly he seems to have put aside his efforts. You can find his maps at www.canonfire.com search for his name in the download section. His work was a great inspiration.

SpamValiant are spot on it takes a lot of work, and half of it is research. Being a Greyhawk fanatic for more than 25 years helps a lot. Having one of the best equipped Greyhawk private collections possible is a necessity.
    I regged the domain ghmaps.net two weeks ago and will set up a wesite to give my project a home and makes downloading easier.

A few months ago I found the tools I always dreamt of in the form of Vue6 and World-Machine. Now I’m learning to use them and what you can do with them is breathtaking!

When this world map is finished in around 2 years my next set of maps for Greyhawk will be spectacular in a whole new way :-)

//Anna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRCITY.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	3118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greyhawk_territories.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	3119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Areas_small.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	3121  
    Last edited by Anna; 04-16-2008 at 04:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast