Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Bezria Atlas

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    That's a heck of a lot of layers, hehe. Did it bog down the computer at all?
    [sarcasm] Very slightly. [/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Thanks, Luka. Do you mean for the stroke around the land, instead of the black line?
    That would be my vote. And that might look really nice on this map.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

Ugh, busy days recently! Finally forced myself to sit down and work on the map more. Anyway, the names are not permanent in terms of style and location. They're just there to have something down. And to add another layer into my growing PS file.

How do the continent borders look now compared to the previous? The mountains and hills are just general elevation at the moment. Had to rough in before I even attempt to do detail. Edited to add a cleaner version (without the grid lines) if the grid is frustrating y'all as much as it is me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bezria Atlas 040412.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	43697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bezria Atlas 040412 no grid.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	43698
    Last edited by Joshua; 04-04-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Yes, I'm colorblind. But my pink fields and orange forests are avant garde!!

I have noticed the layers tend to pile up rather fast I find myself merging random layers and forgetting I had until I delete something. I quite like your new borders! If I had any criticism, it would be perhaps the glow is a bit too bright around them? But that may well be personal taste. I really dig your oceans!

I'm almost afraid to merge layers unless I KNOW that I won't be changing anything, because I don't want to lose editing flexibility. I'll tinker with the glow. Perhaps just a bit of a darker shade, or I'll mess with the other properties. The hard part for me right now is the balance between, "I want the effect to be visible!" and, "I don't want it to stand out too much!" Hehe. And thanks!

I love the water. It's amazing!

Oh, and is the grain-effect that line the pole glaciers supposed to be over the land mass too? What does it represent?

Thanks! I was messing around with various tools to get the water to look right, and then I scrapped it all, restarted, and just kind of popped that out half on accident.

The noise around the poles is supposed to represent kind of a frosted effect. Just to kind of show the general areas that never quite get warm. It's like ice flow debris, permanent snow on the ground, that kind of thing. Does it look too messy?

I don't think it merges really well with the style of your map, it does get a little messy. Maybe more solid colors, like if it's permafrost and constant snow: make it white/grey? I think one of the best things with your map is it's solid colors and nice full layout - check out Google maps, and zoom in on where the tip of the south Americas points towards the tip of Antarctica; some solid white on the s. American tip = permanent snow.

But, maybe you want weather effects? Like falling snow and so on - then it's all good.

I'll fiddle with it. I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, which is lazy, but sometimes that's how I get. So a nudge to do better is always a good thing. The reason why I skipped out on strictly permafrost and constant snow is that it doesn't tackle the "dirty" (i.e., icy water) ocean around the caps that is sometimes seen. I wanted a transition from the ice flows/bergs to the "clean" ocean as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12