Thread: Ominous Adjectives to Convey a Sense of Mystery

Post Ominous Adjectives to Convey a Sense of Mystery

Hello, people-person-things! I'm a human being. My body lives on Earth. My mind only visits sometimes. Oh wow, I hate the structure of my message . . .

There!

. . . but I love the message box that is here (and that I am writing in currently).

Hmm. Well, I must reveal to you why I am on the forum.

I love maps. They are fascinating to me. They contain a certain energy about them that I can really appreciate. Never ask me to read a map, though.

. . . I'm a sad navigator . . .

I am also a writer. I am working on my debut novel right now (because I'm adjective!).

I needz myself some cartography.

I am also going to use my world in a tabletop RPG campaigny-thingy-wingy and I wanted to give my players maaaaaaaaaaaaaps. I intend to do an atlas-mappy-thingy and a continent specific mappy and then every single city that I have (Ooo, maybe I should do regions as well!?).

I am really nervous about cartographetizing (NEW WORD!).

Yet I am overjoyed to have found this place.

Time,

~S.P.I.~

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Welcome,

Take a look around the guild and find examples of maps you like. This will make requests for maps easier. I have always wanted to do a map for a novel and there are many here who feel the same way (and some that have done maps in novels/books).

So you have come to the right place.
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Laureli ObsidianFang's Avatar

We've got a lot in common XD I joined here a while back, been lurking and learning from other peoples maps and method and working on maps for my own world which is used in a series of Novels I'll be writing (and hopefully someday publishing but that's more up to the publisher XD) along with a dice and paper tabletop rpg that i'm making as well based in the same world, I'm doing a continent map at the moment for the continent the first story is mostly set in, getting practice and all of that. I'll do a map of every continent and a world map, and I then intend to do city/town maps as well, it will be a lot of work but worth it, then I may even go so far as to do some building maps, perhaps just a few generic variations for things like inns/taverns and houses and stuff to use for the game, it's all going to take a long time but i don't mind that, i've always loved maps and I'm enjoying being able to finally make some of my own since i've never thought i had the skill to do so before. It's been a very awesome learning experience that has actually helped me to expand my world as well, because I actually only had 4 continents to begin with in a world that was meant to be earth sized XD i have since then added a few to the list and i'll make them all eventually, but it's really nice to be able to add to my creations and give them more depth ^_^

i'll stop ranting now lmao, this is my first forum post actually, so I'll go ahead and introduce myself, I'm Miranda and I live in Colorado in the US, though I'm currently visiting my fiance in Newcastle England where I'll be hopefully moving sometime next year after we get married ^_^ I just turned 20 in february and I've finally started to get really serious about my world and everything over the past year or so, when I got the big desire to map my world better and wound up finding this wonderful site in my efforts to learn more about map-making lol

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Mmmm....Newcastle, England...also happens to be the name of my most favorite beer in the world, Newcastle Brown.

Anyways, welcome to the Guild!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hey hey that's my favorite beer too Welcome to the both of you!

Thank you, thank you!

Hello to Gidde
    and cereth
    and tilt
    and Laureli
    and rpgmapmaker
    and ravells!

And a welcome to Laureli! My novel takes place on one continent, also. I plan on writing more stories on this planet as well, seeing as I am utterly in love with it (YES, it's true; I tried marrying my planet but it rejected me ).

I am currently following the "Artistic Maps in GIMP" tutorial by darklingrisen (Lee Brogan). It is amazingly helpful. I am going to work on that tutorial some more today and hopefully get a working prototype by eight o' clock. We'll see. I want to provide maps for my players but not if it means rushing the process.

I don't think that I will request a map from anyone, as I'd rather learn to do it somehow (it is a valuable skill for a writer to have). Still, it is nice to know what options I have here on this board.

~S.P.I.~

I can't find my rough sketch of the continent. Sad day.

On a positive note, this just means that I will be more flexible when I create my map. That sounds like a better way to think of it.