• March Challenge Entry : Serpent Isles by lostatsea

1 2.33%
  • March Challenge Entry - Rudvik: City of the Pit Lord by Lukc

29 67.44%
  • March Challenge Entry - The Land of Danor by rpgmapmaker

4 9.30%
  • March Challenge Entry - The land of Vectograss by Sapiento

9 20.93%
  • March Challenge Entry - The Palantaisian Protectorate and Voivodes of Sar Darin by Schwarzkreuz

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** March Challenge VOTING - Mapping in Black and White ***

I love all feedback I get, both positive and negative. I have learned so much from this community and value everyone's opinions, even when I disagree. I have placed second in so many map challenges that I've lost count, but it always forces me to go out the next month and push myself a little farther.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

I have to agree. I hope I did not come across as being opposed to Hai-etik's critique of my work. On the contrary, I took it quite seriously and I agree that he has made several very valid points. On other items, I responded with my reasoning behind some of the problems that eventually arose - such as the question of map-and-font - this is something that has interested me for a long time and in my challenge entry I picked a solution, which ended up looking dissonant.

Often when you spend a long time working on something, you become blind to problems and errors. A second, third, fourth point of view helps so much to improve the quality of work that it's quite amazing. So, to all who take the time to comment and analyse: thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    I have to agree. I hope I did not come across as being opposed to Hai-etik's critique of my work. On the contrary, I took it quite seriously and I agree that he has made several very valid points. On other items, I responded with my reasoning behind some of the problems that eventually arose - such as the question of map-and-font - this is something that has interested me for a long time and in my challenge entry I picked a solution, which ended up looking dissonant.
    Well it was the "call for peace" bit that bothered me. Up until then I had thought things were well, peaceful and going well. When You posted that I thought you were saying that you thought I was being hostile in my criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Well it was the "call for peace" bit that bothered me. Up until then I had thought things were well, peaceful and going well. When You posted that I thought you were saying that you thought I was being hostile in my criticism.
    No, I didn't think you were being hostile at all - ravells just posted a pretty picture of a kitty and doggy and I have a kitty for my avatar, so it seemed to fit in. Personally I always find your comments and critiques enlightening because, frankly, you know so much more about GIS and the mathematics of cartography than me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    No, I didn't think you were being hostile at all - ravells just posted a pretty picture of a kitty and doggy and I have a kitty for my avatar, so it seemed to fit in. Personally I always find your comments and critiques enlightening because, frankly, you know so much more about GIS and the mathematics of cartography than me.
    Heh, well, I seem to have provoked a whole page and a half of extra comments in this thread over a misunderstanding then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    I know how to get rid of gray pixels ... I did not do it on my map because it would have looked wired... yours holds up very well to the possess. for all who are wondering.

Save your files with the "Save For Web" (in PhotoShop not sure how in GIMP). This gives you the ability to save files with only the colors you want. This also greatly reduces the file size.
    I did something similar with mine. The symbol layer had to be rasterized separately from the rest in order to keep Inkscape from choking on the 80000 or so discrete symbols. So I exported that from QGIS at 600 DPI, then reduced the colour depth in GIMP, exported the rest to an SVG, and loaded the two into Inkscape.

This led to a mismatch between the look of the antialiased vector elements and the non-anti-aliased raster ones. So I exported from Inkscape at 600 DPI, loaded into the GIMP again, reduced colour depth to 2 again, and saved that for printing (I designed it for printing at 22x17in). Then returned to greyscale, and and resampled to 200 DPI to get a consistent but anti-aliased look. Finally I reduced colour depth to 8 which kept the file size down without any significant visual impact.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks for the step by step on that, Hai. This is a pretty important process for all of us wannabe novelists who are in here trying to make maps for our writing!!

Guild Apprentice TheBigBlueFrog's Avatar

Hi, I'm new here. Just voted for Lukc's Rudvik: City of the Pit Lord. The forced 1-point perspective got me. It makes me want to walk around the place.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ah, so close... I think I was within 3 votes at one point.

Congrats on the win, Lukc; very well-deserved!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Congrats Lukc!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast