Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Crescent World

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

What a cool concept for the world! And I like the new style of the map. The lines where the surf meets the turf are a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    What a cool concept for the world! And I like the new style of the map. The lines where the surf meets the turf are a nice touch.
    Thanks! I'm building it for RP purposes, and I need a big-ass continent or world for continued future play. I figured if I make a enormous piece of land mass that is somehow connected both by land and water (land in the northern parts and by sea in the southern parts) the world can still be so large most of it is unexplored and wild, even though major civilizations do exist.

I am mostly using tutorials making this first map, ofcourse... but later on more areas will be covered and perhaps there will be different kind of maps (depending on civilization, what kind of people living there and so on). This is fun, and I'm looking forward to making these maps.

I'm considering making a map of the whole world, and yet again I like the thought of old style maps and how people in history have pictured the world very different from what we today know to be the world. http://libweb5.princeton.edu/visual_...chley-1750.jpg this map will probably be a major inspiration in the creation of a "crescent world"-map.
    Not very detailed but rather what scientists and learned people of the eastern parts of the crescent believes to be the world.
    Last edited by urxed; 03-31-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Now I've been experimenting a little bit with the rhumb lines and so far this is the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test 3.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	733.3 KB 
ID:	43576

As you can see I'm also experimenting with country borders, the mountains aren't gone, they're just hidden beneath everything else.

I will have to make the rhumb-parts alot more expanded since I am now experiencing lines that end in the middle of the map. Cumbersome for my computer, but it'll work.

Ok. An updated version of the above test can be seen in the very first post.
    I'm not entirely satisfied with the result, but there's more to come and this test was just made real fast.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The rhumb lines look great and the borders are coming along nicely When you post up a new version though, don't replace the old one! Looking at the progress as your map comes along is what helps us all learn from WIP threads.

How about that?

As this is as much learning as it is creating I've dropped the colored borders, but I'll certainly be using that for some other project - I like the water color look.

Back for a short recap. I've made some changes to the overall design. I needed continents and bigger areas.

So this is where I'm at:

- The world as I see it, the land mass:

Name:	Världsatlas2.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	442.6 KB 
ID:	43756

- The world as some of the inhabitants see it, a not yet finished world atlas map:

Name:	Världsatlas 1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	43755

- A simple climate layout map (still not wanting/needing perfect realism):

Name:	Klimatkarta.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	939.6 KB 
ID:	43757

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

I like the changes. The original concept (which I LOVE) is maintained, but the slight separation of land masses cleans up the map a bit, which I find more aesthetically pleasing.
    Yes, I'm colorblind. But my pink fields and orange forests are avant garde!!

Glad you like it! It's kind of easier to work with. Making countries and kingdoms on the thin strip, that was the world before the change, became rather boring and limiting.

And I have to add yet again, that this is nowhere near finished. Just got a job, so I've been away from the computer most of the week and I couldn't work on it until yesterday evening. I'm going to make some new brushes and I'll sit down and create my countries with cities and so on so that I can finish the world atlas. And then choose an area and get more "up close" and get even more detailed.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Oh yeah, looks much more natural broken up like that. I like

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast