Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeper of Records

This is about what I had in mind, updating as necessary of course. I'm more than appreciative of any suggestions.

I've used Redrobes's Thrubmorton Fens as an example:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1805

A large wetland makes up the majority of this area. The few ridges spanning the area make for natural trade routes, offering some protection from the more dangerous low lands.

Stockades and other fortified points have been placed along the trade routes to provide protection to those willing to pay for it. Most do, considering the dangers one faces when camping in the open.

The fortifications themselves are quite basic but well financed. Most maintain a stock of supplies available for purchase,

Agriculture
    The region produces enough livestock and root vegetables to support the forts and the few outlying towns. Less simple foods like grains and fruits are imported, thus increasing the prices of items such as beer and wine.

Ecology
    The low lands are full of swamps and marshes, and creatures associated with such an environment. Lizardfolk are common throughout the area and frequently attack passing merchants.

The higher lands are home to a wide variety of racial mixes, mostly due to the heavy traffic in and out of the area.

Adventure Opportunities
    Mercenaries hired to ward off local predators
    Ruins, caves, and disused mines long forgotten and buried in the wetlands
    Battles between varieties of monstrous races affecting the civilized population

I thinl that looks great. That sort of reference document would be absolutely perfect. It will also be a necessity when it comes to trying to flesh out the relationships between the various regions. Thanks.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    I thinl that looks great. That sort of reference document would be absolutely perfect. It will also be a necessity when it comes to trying to flesh out the relationships between the various regions. Thanks.

Torq
    Glad you approve. I did plan on adding other sections as needed, such as Notable Places, Important People, and something, as you said, describing the relationships with other nearby regions.

industrygothica - I'd be willing to help with the writing/editing aspect as well. Since it seems that you've been given the nod, I'll assist you in any way that you desire. (I would probably have volunteered had I been around the past few days--was on vacation away from the internet.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    industrygothica - I'd be willing to help with the writing/editing aspect as well. Since it seems that you've been given the nod, I'll assist you in any way that you desire. (I would probably have volunteered had I been around the past few days--was on vacation away from the internet.)
    Thanks. You've probably got more experience with this type of stuff than I do (none, basically), so any ideas you've got would be immensely helpful. Honestly, I'd like to get the other areas detailed out as above, but I think we may be at a bit of a standstill until the wiki is up, and that won't be until the World is named.

I suppose we could get them written up anyway, though the format, assuming we stick to something resembling a standard format, may change.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Check out the wiki I set up for my campaign world inprogress a while back...Its actually based on the campaign setting books from D&D 3rd Edition...

http://www.arsala.info

Yes I used the compass rose from here as a logo. But it should help to give you an idea on scope as well as possible formatting/organization for a whole setting...Although mine focuses on a specific area as opposed to the whole world...it woudl still work out...

Also check out Pyrandon's Wiki...I think its in his signature block. He does a great job with his setting through wiki.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

A wiki is a very flexible and great way to detail at least the text bits of a campaign setting. I presume that we will all pile into this wiki and edit it too ? The way I see it running in general is that somebody maps a bit - like each of the tile owners and then writes up about the areas on that map. Then anyone can take one one of those bits, like a fort for example, create a map for it and then write a wiki page or three about that map. Then somebody else takes a house or whatever and does the same again. The person creating the map usually has a pretty good idea about whats down there at the time he makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    A wiki is a very flexible and great way to detail at least the text bits of a campaign setting. I presume that we will all pile into this wiki and edit it too ? The way I see it running in general is that somebody maps a bit - like each of the tile owners and then writes up about the areas on that map. Then anyone can take one one of those bits, like a fort for example, create a map for it and then write a wiki page or three about that map. Then somebody else takes a house or whatever and does the same again. The person creating the map usually has a pretty good idea about whats down there at the time he makes it.
    That's about the way I see it as well. Of course that makes my job pretty much obsolete before it gets started, but hey... I'd still like to help wherever I can though.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No that makes your job even MORE important. you become a style/continuity policeman as well as a fill-in editor...Not everyone will want to do a write-up...some people will just want to map. Thats where you come in...

Also it will be your job to make sure everyone stays along a line of continuity so the world feels like a world, not a collection of modules all from different worlds.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Couldn't have said it better Arcana. IG, the job of continuity becomes more difficult with everyone doing there own thing. At the end of the day the mapper just maps and gives you their idea of the backstory. You have the discretion to use that or not if it doesn't fit with the context.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast