Thread: Haveneast

Map Haveneast

Wow it's been awhile since I've submitted anything on here. This is as good a time as any though so here we go. This is a map done for a friend of his setting, Haveneast. I did it for free as thanks for the awesome games he's been running for us in it. It was also a good excuse to use my new toy, an Intuos5 medium tablet that arrived in the mail a few days ago (which I have been overly eager to use). Let's just say that it helped immensely on this image, especially in giving the borders a slightly uneven, hand done quality. The map is copyrighted under his name (Trevor Gamblin) but he's given me permission to freely show it off as I wish as part of my portfolio so I figured I'd do so. What do you all think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haveneast2.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	43515  
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oh yea and before I forget here's the rough sketch he sent me. The sharp eyed amongst you will note the numerous river violations. Fortunately for my friend I was able to do what I could to rectify this before he could be arrested by the river police.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haveneast.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	43516  
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like it, it reminds me of Zelda: A Link to the Past for some reason. How do you get the ripple lines around the islands and continent? I have always wondered that, because it is a nice effect.

Well if you're using Photoshop...

1) select your landmass (ctrl+click the landmass layer)
    2) select > modify > expand
    3) edit > stroke
    4) repeat steps 2 and 3 several times
    5) enjoy your classy ripples
    My Map Portfolio
    -----

Guild Adept

It is a nice clean mapping style, but there is one visual driving my eyeballs batty when close up, the little hashmarks leading in from the coast, LOL. Not entirely sure why... maybe because for so many years of GM'ing I used those to indicate plateaus on hand drawn maps and my brain wants to make the entire thing a plateau, hmmm, makes sense to my tired brain and eyes anyhow. The mountains also seem a bit repetitious to me, but that is a taste ting also. All and all good work.

Thanks Nomadic! I'll try that on my next map

Quote Originally Posted by Veldehar View Post
    It is a nice clean mapping style, but there is one visual driving my eyeballs batty when close up, the little hashmarks leading in from the coast, LOL. Not entirely sure why... maybe because for so many years of GM'ing I used those to indicate plateaus on hand drawn maps and my brain wants to make the entire thing a plateau, hmmm, makes sense to my tired brain and eyes anyhow. The mountains also seem a bit repetitious to me, but that is a taste ting also. All and all good work.
    Ahaha it would figure the thing I spent the most time on (the hashmarks) would be the thing that would get picked on. Not the cheapo generic fonts I slapped on there that I feel the most shame about, but the 2 hours worth of meticulous marking to get a specific feel. I am hurt by your words good sir!

In all seriousness though thanks for the review and I'm glad you liked the clean feel as cleanness has always been important to me in mapping. I think this is, as with all maps, a matter of taste. What can I say, I likes me some repetitive stylistic stamping for my mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Inriconus
    Thanks Nomadic! I'll try that on my next map
    Sweet, can't wait to see your next map. I shall hold you to your word!
    My Map Portfolio
    -----