Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quest of Elsurae - Map of the Melcon continent.

It is gorgeous indeed, well painted. Personally one of my fave things are the coastlines, the way they suggest rather than say where the edges are.

Guild Member

Your first map? You sure you're not lying? ;-)

It's a great map, very well finished. It could be in a book and wouldn't look out of place. A great start.

It is my first, no lie

Excellent work!

Wow, if that's your first map then you have a very bright future ahead of you!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

That's a good map any day of the week. For a first map, it's crazy good ! Thanks for posting it.

I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest a small improvement - a couple of your watercourses break the tenets of hydrology. To wit: Lake Darcy ought not have three or four outlets - real lakes won't do that - rather it's many inputs, one output. If two were temporarily at the same altitude, flow would quickly make one path "win" and the other would no longer flow. A quick fix would be to cut back the extra ones a little way, making them start some distance from the lake - that'd be plausible. There's another place where it looks almost like a river connects to the ocean at both ends - there I'm choosing to believe your painterly style is vague enough that there's just two sources pretty close together. See how the one that empties into the N. of the Veira Gulf seems to connect to the one that empties just E. of Syla Harbor?

But really, where some such errors make my skin crawl, this doesn't - it's so pretty my inner policeman shuts down and I just enjoy it :-). Have a smidgen of rep from me as well!

Thank you, Arsheesh and Bogie.

Also, thanks for the critique jbgibson. The most I know about rivers and such is that they generally follow fractal dimensions (the same way lightning looks or how trees look) depending on terrain. I'll look into rivers\hydrology more, so I don't get arrested. You'll hate my other map that I made for the April Lite Challenge, because water physics goes right out the window. lol

Guild Apprentice TheBigBlueFrog's Avatar

Very fine map. I love the central "gulf" as it reinds me of one of my favorite Warhawk maps. (It's a PS3 third person shooter.)

Wow, that is really pretty. I think I will use it as desktop wallpaper. It's just awesome.

What a beautiful map! I love your paintery style and dreamy atmosphere it has. Hard to believe it's your first, it's so awesome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12