Thread: Real-time Gradfient-Domain Painting (I wish it was a plugin for photoshop)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Real-time Gradfient-Domain Painting (I wish it was a plugin for photoshop)

This is from a 2008 presentation at SIGGRAPH. Looking at it, the various features seem to me they'd be very useful for mapping etc - especially the first bit for sketching out mountains etc.

Video

Project Page (with downloads)

edit: Just saw anther project of his on "Soft Stacking" and noticed it was done in 2012 in conjunction with/at Adobe....so there's hope.

jaw drops :O

VERY useful stuff! I would really like to be able to paint a gradient along an arbitrary curve (spline). So I could paint heightmap valleys.m

monks

I installed the program and tried to start it on my MacBookPro but it crashes right away....sadly

Guild Apprentice TheBigBlueFrog's Avatar

Jaw dropping is right. This is a game changer. If Adobe buys the rights to incorporate this into PShop, it would change the way I retouch photos.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBlueFrog View Post
    Jaw dropping is right. This is a game changer. If Adobe buys the rights to incorporate this into PShop, it would change the way I retouch photos.
    That depends on whether it's patent encumbered. (I am REALLY glad we don't have general software patents here in Canada) If not, anyone can implement it themselves provided they don't violate Copyright by direct copying of source code.

This works in realtime because it's GPU accelerated (if I read correctly). I don't know if Photoshop CS6 will have this feature specifically, it IS getting Mercury support (the same NVIDIA CUDA based GPU acceleration that revolutionized Adobe Premiere recently). You can create these effects with Photoshop, just not nearly as quickly. Hopefully, CS6 will either incorporate it or at least get us one step closer.

For now, you could probably export a layer, edit it with this program and bring it back to your PSD file in lieu of a proper plugin / feature.

Isn't CS6 out now to try?