Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: March/April 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Lostwater Caves

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone limestone (6).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	638.9 KB 
ID:	43688

Would some limestone like this help? There's loads of it lying around here (not surprising, since I live close to an alpine karst landscape) and I have a bunch of texture shots of it for when I need a rock texture. I'm going to be updating my texture library soon, since I've just got a new camera and lens and it's going to be good to see what I can get out of it. The joy of looking like a total geek, wandering around weighted down with two cameras and then taking photos of ... dirt, stones, pebbles, wood, dirt, sand, asphalt ...

Yeah, I feel your pain Lukc, It drives my wife crazy with the things I take pictures of when we are out.

Oh NICE. Thanks! I'll definitely use that! I live on a giant heap of glacier poop, so I can't get a photo like this, alas...thanks for sharing!

Octopod, if you need a higher res image, give you can give me a shout at lrejec (the standard monkey "at" sign) gmail and so forth and I'll transfer you three, four hi-res limestone textures.

@Bogie: it only drives my dog crazy for now. My darling ex used to drive me crazy, then I traded her for a great dane. I've never had a girl who was happier to see me if I was late, I've never had a dog that wasn't

Hey Octopod, would you mind if I showed you the idea I had on a section of your map? It may give you some ideas for a texture you can make.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by octopod View Post
    Oh NICE. Thanks! I'll definitely use that! I live on a giant heap of glacier poop, so I can't get a photo like this, alas...thanks for sharing!
    Lmao. Just lmao.

Inriconus: go for it, I'd love to see it. Post it in here. Goodness knows I scribble tectonic plates on enough people's maps around here, I'd be a hypocrite to mind.

Default Quick Texture

Ok, here is an idea for the texture. Has some limestone coloring and dirt coloring, while remaining somewhat dark.

Name:	texture.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	43699

Looks good Inriconus, I like the texture. I'd just point out, however, that the dirt layer you've done is too thick and most of the "brown dirt" should actually be white/grey rock. On a karst landscape you get 1 metre of soil or so, rarely 2. Where you get farming and settled communities on karst, the landscape becomes littered with stone walls, cairns and piles, and all the houses end up built of stone, because farmers keep pulling stones out of their soil to make arable land (usually at the bottoms of depressions and such).

Example:

Name:	kraskavrtaca.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	43707

Example more:

Name:	kraskavrtaca2.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	43708

And the entrance to a really pretty cave nearby, on wikipedia, where else. More of the Škocjan caves.
    Some more pretty karst pictures (nicer than on the English wikipedia, if you ask me).

P.S. - I actually live on river/lake poop. A 20-30m thick layer of gravel and conglomerate over more than 70m of fine clay. The clay was only discovered when they started drilling for groundwater to use for heating and instead of river deposits they found ... clay. And more clay. But there's karst nearby it just sticks out of the gravel a lot more.
    Last edited by Lukc; 04-05-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Of course, but as I said: this was only meant for an idea, not meant for accuracy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast