Thread: March/April 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Lostwater Caves

How about this?

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caveblots.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	43781

It looks good to me, the texture works pretty well to make the blacks less intimidating.

Guild Apprentice TheBigBlueFrog's Avatar

This is my favorite of all the maps competing with mine for the challenge. As a former caver, I like the side-view elevation of the caves. Reminds me of crawling around Marengo Caverns in Indiana.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

This is my favourite so far, really interesting idea.

Lukc and Inriconus, thanks very much, that was a really good idea and the photo worked perfectly.

Yospeck, thanks.

BigBlueFrog, you used to be a caver? Do you think the names here are OK? It was hard to get a handle on plausible cave names...

I'm not sure about the colour inside the caves anymore, either. Hmm. Maybe a touch darker.

Cave structures that are created by flow are usually shades of rust and cream colors, as the limestone is colored by iron oxide. However, I've seen just about every color of the rainbow underground, as various minerals and salts change the coloration (always muted though - no jeweltones). Names are whatever people feel when they see the room, and your "Back Breaker" is exactly the kind of name I'd expect. I've crawled through tunnels called "the Birth Canal" and "the Crusher" and if you look at maps of Mammoth-Flint cave in Kentucky, you'll see that there are all kinds of vaults, ballrooms, hallways, etc.

If you do a Google image search for "cave interior" and ignore the false-colored flowstone that is common in commercial cave tour operations (think Rock City) then you'll get an idea of what the colors are.

Haha, thanks. My mineralogy classes have solidly beaten into me the set of chromatic possibilities here -- I know you can get more or less anything you want out of limestone with appropriate impurities. I was more thinking about what it looks like on the actual map, and whether I ought to introduce some variegation into the shading within the caves; or whether that would be too visually confusing.

::experiments::

Now that's a clever use for the blots shapes, you've got my vote Octopod!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I think if you used the cave wall texture just around the edges, really faint, it might work. That way it would look like the texture gets more faint and hard to discern the farther back in the chamber you're looking. I don't know. It might work.

Yes, I'm with BigBlue on this one, it might work - possibly interspersed with a big fuzzy stalagmite or column or stalactite or grand piano in the background ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast