Thread: Google Maps API and this project

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Google Maps API and this project

I think this project would be a GREAT way to implement my dream of automating a Google Map API for fantasy mapping...Since the tiles you guys are making are all square for the most part.

Is there anyone here that knows any php that would like to co-author this endeavor???

Basically I imagine a form people can use to upload tiles to the tile server here so that the google maps api can display it through the CWBP wiki page. I'd like it to be kinda like the UESP wiki maps for Oblivion.

All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Me too...and look where its gotten me! I run this site don't I? hehehe

Basically...if you can imagine a two-part approach to this project...

1) We create a form that lets the user upload the images for each zoom level as necessary. each tile is only 256x256 pixels...so they'll have to either be cut up by the user, or we can use gdi to cut the images in the php code. As long as they specify the x,y,z of the tile it will work... (z being zoom level)

2) We create a form that allows the user to enter POI data (Points of Interest) that will appear as icons on the map letting the viewer know what is located at that spot, possibly with links to threads or wiki entries about that location.

My old google api test is broken, probably because the api code is outdated and needs to be updated...I'll get that working again and we can then start planning for sure.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Sure-

By gdi you mean GD imagle library for php? I have done a fair bit of work with this on my own system so am fairly familiar with it. It might be best to have the form allow you to Geolocate the whole image, and have the application make the tiles at the specified locaiton to keep the grid aligned properly.

-Rob A>

If your going to go with pre cut tiles, I would suggest geo-referencing your whole map image in Global Mapper, and then using it to cut your google map tiles (which will be correctly positioned, cut from best resolution out,and named to google's folder/tile name criteria), it will write your html as well,,,as long as you have a google map api code for the site that is going to display your map, to input, upon export from Global Mapper. The only thing you may have to change in the html is your server location as you will most likely save them to your harddrive, and that location is written into the .js portion of the html.
    If your going to cut them on the fly, geo-ref as well, then as your map expands , just change the image your are cutting the tiles from and everything will remain accurate, like the icons you mentioned.
    Then you can think about cutting image tiles for World Wind,Global Mapper does that too,,,3d maps on a globe.
    You can probably get away with using precut tiles, google cuts them on the fly due to the size of the imagery/ hard drive space.

SeerBlue