Thread: First map - Help

Default First map - Help

Hello people! I'm kinda new here... ^^ (registered a little time ago)
    Well, i'll go direct to the point. I'm creating a RPG scenario, of Medieval Fantasy, with a bit of dread, to play in the internet, in a brazillian program of RPG (I'm Brazillian... =P). And, i've created a map, of the scenario. But... It's my first time, and I need a bit of help, to make it.

This scenario has:
    - a great abyss, that destroyed a large part of the continent of the scenario, with a small floating island in the middle of the Abyss.
    - An Land, where the "life" didn't reached, in the extreme north/south.
    - A land of desert, in the south

And so for. And I need help to create that in the scenario. I use Photoshop 7.0.1. In that moment, I just have an free-hand drawing of the map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture20120325163735.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	43652

Here it is! And, I wanna ask help, to make that simple map, to be a great map to show to my players.
    Thx for reading that, and awaiting for a little help. Thx! o/

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hiya and welcome to the Guild! Check out the tutorials section of the site; there's a ton of step-by-step tutorials in there for different styles. Once you have a style in mind and get started a bit, it'll be much easier to give you tips!

Thanks, man! I'll search in the tutorials, to make my map, thx for the hint... ^^
    P.S.: The design of the map, even in that bad quality, is good?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Yep, the landmass looks good

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

I agree, the landmass does look good. Since you have the image scanned in, a way to "convert" it to Photoshop friendly is to use the picture as a background layer and "trace" over it on a new layer using the PS brush tool. Once you have it traced out in a digital file, you can remove the scanned image and start from there.
    Yes, I'm colorblind. But my pink fields and orange forests are avant garde!!

Thx for the hint, Joshua. I did that, and became very good... ^^
    I've found one tutorial, that I liked it, but I Want to make an texture that looks like an Scroll.
    Then, I will ask to you, how can I make it?

P.S.: When I Finish the map, without the texture, I will post him again... ^^