Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first (real) map

Wow. Duh. Kind of ages me, eh?

Progress continues on the map, mainly softening coastlines for the moment, getting rid of the jaggies. Anyone else have thoughts on what's here so far?

I like what's taking shape I agree with the other comments, though. Sadly I'm not sure what you could do for the monoliths (I'm no good at all for that sort of thing). Can't wait to see the next step!

I've finished the rivers and softened the coastlines. I really don't like the lack of scalability; I was hoping to add cities, roads etc., but I'm not sure now with how bad it looks zoomed in. Any ideas for fixing that? Should I create a ultra-high rez canvas and copy all the layers to that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	(4) Deria Rivers, Smooth Coasts.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	611.6 KB 
ID:	43974  

Quote Originally Posted by Baxder View Post
    A 2001 monolith? I'm afraid that reference is lost on me...
    It is an iconic item from the classic movie/book 2001 The Space Odyssey. It was an object that was so mindbogglingly foreign that it inspired our ancient ape ancestors to invent weapons.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2001_ape_monolith_460-1emv8f7.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	43982

EDIT: I like the way your map is turning out. Have you considered making the rivers a bit more windy?

You're not the first to bring that up, so maybe I should. I intended this to be a very high view, (1"=300 miles), so I'm not sure how much wind would show at that scale. (...and I'm kinda lazy.) I suppose I should look at more real-world maps, huh?

Thanks for the good vibes.

If 1 inch is 300 miles then your rivers are fairly wide. Some of your rivers are about an 1/8th of an inch wide, which means they are 37 miles wide. The big lake on the topmost landmass is over 800 miles wide, while the lake in the lower right landmass is 1,050 miles wide. These are very large numbers. Perfect for a fantasy setting but it shocked me a bit because I did not realize the scale you were going for.

Well, I don't think the rivers would be visible any smaller. As far as the lakes go, I was considering calling them seas for their size, but I haven't looked into the official differences between lakes and seas yet.

Default Complete Physical

It's done! I haven't fixed the scaling issue yet, though. Please let me know what you really think! Keep in mind, 1"=300 mi. Obviously, the rivers are not to scale in width.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	(5) Derland Complete Physical.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	643.7 KB 
ID:	44116  

So I pumped up the DPI to 1000. About crashed my machine, and is virtually un-usable, but it worked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast