Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Critisism on new World Map

Help Critisism on new World Map

Hi! I'm currently trying to make a semi-realistic/plausible world map and I need help to figure out what looks wrong and/or unrealistic with it in it's current state. I have FT 3 and FT pro and I have tried to follow various tutorials to export the .ftw file to Wilbur. I know that there was a tutorial called "There and Back Again" on Ridgenet, but somehow the website doesn't seem to work for me. If someone could direct me to the tutorial, or if there is some kind soul that has it in pdf format, I would be very happy!

At first I used FT to generate a good map. Then I tweaked and tried to figuring out the tectonic plates and how they would generate mountains, trenches and islands. All criticism and help is welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXAMPLE 1.png 
Views:	343 
Size:	724.8 KB 
ID:	43664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXAMPLE 2.png 
Views:	278 
Size:	792.1 KB 
ID:	43665  

Guild Apprentice

Hi there, I haven't been here too long myself, but I think I can help you get started because of comments that were given to me. :-)

Please name your continents so that we're all talking about the same thing. It's easier to comment on specific map areas that way.

How to get your rivers in the right place is helpful info on realistic rivers.

Map for a world building project is a thread with info on oceanic currents, wind direction, rainfall patterns and more.

My world building project needs realism is my thread where you can see the evolution of my realistic world so far.

I hope this can help you get started. :-)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

The plates look good to me, but I'm no expert. The thing to keep in mind when designing your world is that oceanic-to-continental subduction zones can cause volcanism within their mountain ranges, so that might add a twist into how you want to lay out your plates! Sometimes volcanoes are fun, sometimes not. I only bring that up 'cause you have a number of mountain ranges along subduction faults, and that's the sweet spot for that kind of thing.
    Yes, I'm colorblind. But my pink fields and orange forests are avant garde!!

In the eastern area I don't see the need for some of the tiniest plates - just remember, because a section is above sea level, doesn't mean it warrants a separate plate!

In my opinion, it looks a lot like Earth. If that was your intention, it's fine. If it wasn't, I'd recommend changing a few things here and there.

Specifically:
    - The southern most continent is almost identical to Antarctica. Roughly the same size, and it even has a 'point' on it's right side like Antarctica does.
    - The continent center-right has a similar shape as Africa, with that big chunk taken out of it.
    - The continent to the right of that reminds me of Australia. Off on it's own, and with those numerous islands above it, it reminds of Australia + Indonesian islands.
    - The northern most part of the northern-right continent reminds me of Russia. Althought I'm not really sure why.

Just my 2 cents. Whether it was intentional or not, it's not a bad thing. Many times I've tried creating landmasses and I inadvertantly make Earth.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I don't know, I like the tiny plates. It reminds me of the tectonic hotbed in the south pacific. Although that illustrates Sursion's point; this really does look incredibly similar to Earth (and let me reiterate that it's truly not a bad thing unless you want it to be completely unsimilar).

Ridgenet was down for the last week (how in this day and age it's possible for an ISP to be totally down for a week is beyond me - maybe they had a delay in ordering their used server from Tiger Direct and then took three days to figure out how to restore from backup; maybe it was something else entirely). It was back up when I checked earlier, but there's no telling for how long. IT is complicated!

Thanks for the replies!

Great links Hyrrow, will check them out
    I used Earth as a pointer to realism and I know that my map looks very similar... I will and redraw some of the continents! I will post the revised map shortly!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXAMPLE 2.png 
Views:	592 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	43676

Here is the new map. There are still things that reminds of Earth (such as the left continents (America and South America) and the island chains in the south east). I haven't planned out the mountains yet as I wanted to get some feedback from the community before I proceed with it. Any suggestion that I should change before I proceed?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Oh, I like that alot! Especially the archipelagos in the southeast. It looks like a giant compound crater.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast