Thread: Simple Map of Europe from about 1900 showing about 10 cities, major rivers

Default Simple Map of Europe from about 1900 showing about 10 cities, major rivers

Greetings. I notice that most all your requests are for fantasy maps. I have something different in mind and wonder if anyone would be interested. This is a map I would like to use in a family history DVD I am making. It is for strictly personal, non-commercial use--but I would like it to look as "professional" as possible.

Subject--I am attaching a very pathetic attempt I made myself to give you the general idea.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wagner map.psd 
Views:	222 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	43544 The map I would like you to make should be more complete, extending as far as London and Paris, but not necessarily a lot more detailed. We could discuss.

I am not sure about the scale except to say it is for use in a DVD and should be a clear, informative and legible as possible.

Style--As I say, it should be simple and informative. Colors to indicate countries e.g. Switzerland, and Empires e.g. Germany and Austria-Hungary. Distances in miles should be easy to see.

Quality & Size--I would like it to look as professional (basically I just mean good) as it can. WRT size, it should be optimal size to go into DVD video.

Time Constraints--Flexible

Copyright--the map is for personal, non-commercial use only.

Contact Details--I do not have the required number of posts. If you are interested I would like to discuss, Thank you.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Since it's for use in a DVD, I'd suggest making it 1920x1080 (top resolution of an HDTV). Any other size will automatically scale when rendered to dvd, with unpredictable results. Also, the font sizes should be a lot larger than what we usually see on here. ( I've been making some picture dvd's lately )

llwb, this is a really cool project idea. I'm going to wait to say "mememe" because there are some folks on here who put my mapping to shame, but I'll keep checking and if you don't have someone in a couple of days I'd certainly give it a go.

Edit: So that I can tag the post, is this a paid/paid?/unpaid request?
    Last edited by Gidde; 03-31-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks for such a speedy reply. I thought I had called it "paid." My idea is that I would certainly be willing to pay (PayPal) depending on whatever we discuss about the project and then agree upon.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ha! So you did. Newfangled tech there; we used to have to tag it after the fact and I was apparently stuck in a time warp.

Hi llwb

I would be interested in helping you with this; you can find a link to my portfolio in my signature to see if any of the styles there appeal to you. In any case, if you do find someone to help you with the map, do post here so we can mark the request as taken.

many thanks

ravs

Blog Entries

I'd be interested. I just completed a real world map for the Challenge. You can take a look at my work at http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=9958 and http://draconic.ca/portfolio/

Hello Ravs and thank you for your reply. I did go to look and although a numbers of images appear to have been removed, I saw the great map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire that you made. It seems to me that would be a perfect "style" for what I have in mind. Please tell me how we should proceed from here.

Thank you.

llwb

Thanks for your reply Hai-Etlik. For some reason the reply counter did not reflect your reply until after I had answered Ravs. I went and looked at your work and those are beautiful maps. However, I think at this point the "style" of Rav's map is more what I had in mind. But since I don't know what will come up, I will remember your interest.

Thanks again.

llwb

Hi lwb, that's really odd, I updated the portfolio a while back and removed the Austro-Hungarian map from it! I'm not sure why you are looking at an older version. Let's continue by email - if you email me at ravifelicity -at- yahoo.co.uk, we can talk about timing and prices etc.

Ravs, I have e-mailed you at the address you provided. I just want to make sure I got it right. My time frame is flexible, so no pressure is intended.

llwb