Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April 2012 Entry: This is not a place of honor.

Guild Apprentice

Default April 2012 Entry: This is not a place of honor.

Hi guys,

This is my first entry and its an idea I've been planning in the back of my head as an end point for a campaign I haven't even started.

I was inspired by this webpage: http://www.damninteresting.com/this-...lace-of-honor/

In particular, this quote really made me want to create an awesome fight.

This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

In my campaign (4e), the world is beginning to change because the old gods are awakening, ultimately the players will end up deciding if they want to help the old gods or seal them away forever. This is probably going to be the last map they encounter before entering the temple and deciding the fate of this world. The idea is that one faction or another of the newer gods will try to prevent them from reaching the temple as the entire ground beneath the fight is giving way. One of the things I want to do is have sections of the map "fall away" and indicate this in maptools and such with tokens/overlays. In the first round the ground will rumble and become difficult terrain. If the players haven't gotten off that section by the start of the third round they will need to roll to make a leap off as the entire section begins to crumble away.

I'm going to be doing this on a 20 x 30" format since its easy to print this up at Costco for about $9. Hopefully the concept sounds sort of cool

I'm still in the midst of cleaning up the whole thing to make it look like floating platforms where the land is disintegrating so excuse the mess.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	This is not a place of Honor..jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	43706

I really love those WIPP plans I'd like to see what you come up with here.

Guild Apprentice

Haven't had much time yet to do any work on it. I spent all weekend at PAX East and then a few days recovering

I need to get more debris and such on the map as well as giving these floating platforms more depth, currently they look like wafer thin sheets of rock just floating around.

I am unhappy with the black/purple background though, it just looks like a generic abyss type thing - any suggestions?

Name:	This is not a place of Honor..jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	43924

Ooh. I like the session concept.

If you gave them a little bit of a gradient and deformed them a little to look like perspective, the disconnected sections could really look like they're falling away...

Guild Apprentice

I played around with this a bit. Trying to find a good way to make the platforms look more like they're anchored to something...somewhat anyway.
    Before I continue with this style for everything, what do you guys think?

Name:	platforms.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	517.9 KB 
ID:	43943

I think it's definitely getting there ... possibly I'd make the edges of the islands a bit less dark (slightly lower contrast) so they don't seem so obviously outlined vs. the edges.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    I think it's definitely getting there ... possibly I'd make the edges of the islands a bit less dark (slightly lower contrast) so they don't seem so obviously outlined vs. the edges.
    Thats a good idea, I'm also thinking of doing just an almost isometric view instead of an overhead which would allow me to do a lot more in terms of showing the sides of the islands, but then again if I do that, the rest of the objects would also have to follow suit. (I think it might also be a bit more difficult to play on?)

Guild Apprentice

I had only a little time recently so I only spent an hour or two each day on this. I did find a better way to draw the islands to give them more depth as well as finding a much better way to color (following Torstan's tutorial sort of).

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	This is not a place of Honor.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	44045

This I like!

Guild Apprentice

So I ended up not having any time at all to finish this map. But the good news is that I got into medical school

Here it is, I'm sure I will finish it up eventually and send it over to the finished map forum once I find some free time!

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	This is not a place of Honor.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	44371

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast