Thread: Preliminary Sketch of World Map

Wip Preliminary Sketch of World Map

Joined a while ago, but have yet to fully take advantage of the Guild.

Anyway: This is a sketch of a world where three or four of my story ideas take place (undecided on the fourth--it would be on another continent, though). Specifically, this is the continent where the stories happen.

I'm trying to keep it realistic enough that someone with cursory knowledge of geography/geology wouldn't be pulled out of the story too much. However, there is a specific problem that's bothering me. The north of the Indian Subcontinent clone needs to have a desert, but I don't think my mountains are in the right place. My idea to fix this is to move the range at the north of the desert to the coast so it can create a rain shadow. I also have failed to come up with a realistic continental plate layout that would produce this continent/mountains, but I might not be able to solve that without sacrificing the features I want to keep.

If anyone has any suggestions, especially in regard to the desert (colored yellow), I'd appreciate them greatly.

Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Color.jpg 
Views:	1068 
Size:	496.9 KB 
ID:	43742

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You can have desert without a rain shadow (witness the Sahara). Usually they're at the doldrums (tropic of cancer/capricorn, where the winds change from one direction to the other and so are pretty much dead). So honestly, I see no problem with your desert placement, just center it on 23deg or so north or south and you're set

Thank you! That's actually around the latitude I was thinking for it.